Bacon! But wait it's made from coconuts?! Yup. Vegan coconut bacon. And it's really good you guys. The secret here is smoked paprika and liquid smoke. Seasoned with salty tamari, caramelized maple syrup, and spices, it really does taste like the real deal.
This coconut bacon is great on salad, as a snack right out of the jar (because hey, why not!), in sandwiches, or with eggs or veggies in the morning as a savoury breakfast. Or on waffles instead of chicken.
I made similar fake bacon with fresh coconut meat a few years ago but never ended up posting it on the blog because I figured not many people have access to fresh young Thai coconuts where they can scoop out the coconut meat - enter coconut flakes. So much easier! Instead of drying the coconut meat in the oven for hours, this "bacon" is done in 30 minutes and is just as delicious. Not gonna lie, the texture of dried fresh coconut meat is better than coconut flakes and more authentic (If you've ever had coconut "meat" jerky, it's the same thing) BUT who wants to spend over 5 hours drying coconut meat in the oven when it could be done so much faster? Right? Me neither so let's get some coconut flakes and make this!
What you need:
- avocado oil (or any other high-heat cooking oil)
- tamari (that's where the saltiness comes from here)
- maple syrup (caramelized sticky coconut bacon yes pls)
- liquid smoke (Easily the star of the show BUT if you can't find this, don't stress it and just use smoked paprika instead)
- smoked paprika (double bacon flavor)
- onion and garlic powder (for extra flavor)
- coconut flakes (the "meat")
What recipes to use coconut bacon in?
- My "anything you have" salad - the one in the photos! (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, bell peppers, or any other vegetables you have on hand)
- Roasted Potato Salad with Dill Cashew Dressing
- Mexican Kale Salad with Cashew Dressing (it'd be great in place of the homemade veggie chips for some smoky flavor)
- Roasted Okra Quinoa Bowl (just skip the eggs here and add coconut bacon instead!)
Vegan bacon made with coconut flakes.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon miso (optional)
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 300F (150C).
- In a big bowl, mix together everything except the coconut flakes.
- Add the coconut flakes and let marinate for 15-30 mins.
- Bake for 20-25 mins tossing 2-3 times. The bacon will crisp up as it cools.
- Take out of the oven and let cool down completely before storing it.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 week.
Keywords: coconut, bacon