Salads are great all year round and even in the fall and winter, it's nice to add some fresh greens to your diet. Even just as a side to all the comforting hearty dishes. This Persimmon Salad with Goat Brie gives you the best of both worlds. You get raw greens, fresh persimmon, and tart pomegranate seeds but also creamy goat brie cheese and crunchy walnuts full of protein.
Have you ever tried Persimmon before? I'm always excited for it to be in season! I always say I'm gonna come up with recipes using it but then I usually end up just eating it as is because it's that good. This time I decided to actually come up with something and made this easy Persimmon Salad when I came across Goat Brie at the farmers market one Saturday. It instantly gave me the idea to make a persimmon salad with pomegranate seeds and the goat brie I bought.
This salad comes together in only about 10 minutes and is really good and filling thanks to the walnuts and goat cheese.
The mix of all the flavors in this salad is what makes it sooo good.
Any good recipe should have 5 tastes that result in your meal tasting great. Not all recipes can be perfect but these 5 tastes is what you should always keep in the back of your mind when preparing something.
- Sweetness - Persimmon
- Saltiness - Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Sourness - Pomegranate Seeds
- Bitterness - Walnuts
- Umami (savoriness) - Goat Brie
Umami is what people usually get most confused about.
I found a description of it in The Vegetarian Flavor Bible which is a book I came across recently and absolutely fell in love with. Great inspiration for when you aren't sure what flavors go and don't go together.
Umami is described as a savory taste that is noticeable in ingredients such as mushroom, aged cheese, fermented foods, sea vegetables, and nutritional yeast. Umami is what brings all the flavors together and makes the dish great. We taste all these flavors separately and together. The better combination of these you come up with, the tastier and more satisfying your dish will be.
More salad recipes to try:
- Za'atar Roasted Eggplant Lentil Salad
- Greek Potato Salad with Feta
- Quinoa Salad with Pomegranate and Lemon Dressing
- French Lentil Broccoli Salad
- Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Du Puy Lentil Salad with Fennel and Sweet Potato
A delicious simple salad with sweet persimmon, tart pomegranate seeds, and creamy goat brie cheese.
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cups mixed greens
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup walnuts (raw or roasted), chopped
- ½ wheel goat brie
- 1-2 persimmon, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- Add all the ingredients into a small mason jar, close with a lid and shake to combine. Set aside.
- Add all ingredients except the persimmon into a medium bowl or devide between 2-3 small bowls.
- Add the persimmon on top and drizzle with the dressing right before serving.
If you want to make this salad in advance, I recommend doing it with the dressing on the side as the salad becomes soggy within a couple hours if you add it right away.
Keywords: persimmon, pomegranate, salad, brie, goat cheese