This Passion Fruit Margarita is a tropical twist on the classic and the perfect summer cocktail. Made with fresh passion fruit and a touch of vanilla. Mocktail version included!
Why This Recipe Works
Simple and easy - Most flavored cocktails require making homemade syrup but not this one! The recipe calls for fresh passion fruit you can just add to your cocktail shaker and you're done. So simple and ready to drink in minutes.
Packed with flavor - Passion fruit is sweet, tart fruit that genuinely tastes like a tropical vacation to me. It's like a cross between pineapple and kiwi but different. It works really well in this margarita and you should definitely give it a try if you've never had it! I also highly recommend you check out this Passion Fruit Mojito!
Pitcher-friendly - Margarita is always an easy cocktail to make in a pitcher for a crowd and this one is no different! Just mix everything in a pitcher instead of a shaker.
- Reposado tequila - I went with reposado tequila in this cocktail but silver tequila works just as well if that's what you prefer. Silver tequila isn't aged at all whereas Reposado tequila is aged for 2-11 months in oak barrels. Reposado has a light brown gold color that is natural due to the aging process in the barrels.
- Cointreau - Any orange liqueur works here. I like using Cointreau in my cocktails.
- Lime juice - I highly recommend using freshly squeezed lime juice, it will always taste better than the bottled stuff.
- Passion fruit - I use fresh passion fruit but you can also use passion fruit puree if you have it. It's hard for me to find at the grocery stores in my area so I always go for fresh fruit.
- Maple syrup - Any sweetener works in this drink. I like maple syrup in combination with the Reposado tequila and vanilla but agave, simple syrup, or coconut nectar also work. I recommend using liquid sweeteners because they will blend better into the cocktail than granulated ones. If you're out of liquid sweetener, you can melt regular sugar (coconut sugar, maple sugar, cane sugar, etc) in hot water in a 1:1 ratio before adding it to the cocktail.
- Vanilla extract - Vanilla adds a nice sweetness to the cocktail and round all the flavors. You can use vanilla extract or vanilla paste depending on your preference. If you're using whole vanilla beans, only add the seeds from about ¼ of a vanilla pod.
Glass prep: Start by prepping your glass. This step is optional but a classic margarita has a salt rim which is what I did for this cocktail too. Add sea salt or Himalayan pink salt to a small plate. Run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass and dip the glass in the salt. Fill the glass with ice and set it aside while you make the cocktail.
Add ingredients: Add the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, passion fruit pulp, maple syrup, and vanilla extract into a cocktail shaker. You can strain the passion fruit first to remove the seeds but I usually don't since the cocktail gets strained anyway before being served.
Shake: Add a handful of ice to the shaker, close, and shake vigorously for a few seconds until very cool to touch.
Strain and serve: Strain the cocktail into your prepared glass and garnish with a slice of lime and more passion fruit if desired. Enjoy!
A Mocktail Version
Non-alcoholic spirit: To make this into a mocktail, you can either skip the alcohol completely or use a non-alcoholic spirit. If you have one you like that mimics the flavor of the tequila, definitely use it in this drink and follow the instructions as you would for a regular mojito. Cointreau is an orange liqueur so if you want to add some of that orange flavor back in, add a squeeze of orange juice.
Simple with sparkling water: To make this drink into a passion fruit lemonade, without any non-alcoholic spirits, add the lime juice, passion fruit pulp, maple syrup, vanilla, and ice into a cocktail shaker. Shake well and pour into a glass filled with ice. Top up the drink with sparkling water or flavored soda. I like using ones that have no added sugar to avoid added calories. Lacroix is usually the one I go for. A passion fruit flavored one or a simple lime flavor would be perfect here.
Yes, simply mix everything in a pitcher instead of a cocktail shaker. If you don't want too many passion fruit seeds floating around in there, strain the pulp into the pitcher to remove the seeds.
Yes, you can use a non-alcoholic spirit or add flavored soda. I like using sugar-free sodas.
More Margarita Recipes
If you're like me and tequila-based cocktails are your favorite, you'll love the four margaritas linked below! You should also definitely check out my all-time favorite cocktail that's inspired by a drink from one of my favorite restaurants! Campari Orange Blossom Cocktail uses homemade orange blossom almond syrup and it's so good! If you want to see all the latest cocktails, check out the Cocktails category.
This passion fruit margarita is the perfect summer cocktail! Made with fresh passion fruit and a touch of vanilla. See notes for a mocktail version.
- Lime wedge + 1 tablespoon Himalayan pink salt or sea salt (for glass rim)
- 1 ½ oz silver or reposado tequila
- ½ oz Cointreau (or another orange liqueur)
- 1 oz lime juice (1 lime)
- ½ oz simple syrup (see notes)
- 1 passion fruit (plus more for garnish)
- Lime slices for garnish (optional)
- Prep the glass: Run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass and dip it salt. Fill the glass with ice and set it aside.
- Make the cocktail: Add tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, simple syrup, and passion fruit pulp into a cocktail shaker.
- Add a handful of ice and shake vigorously for 5-10 seconds until very cool and frothy.
- Pour the cocktail over ice into your prepared glass and garnish with a lice slice and more passion fruit pulp. Enjoy!
Simple syrup: Add ½ cup cane sugar (or another sweetener) and ½ cup water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves to make sure it doesn’t burn. Let cool and transfer to a glass jar and store in the fridge for up to 14 days. If you don’t want to make simple syrup, you can substitute 2 teaspoon maple syrup.
Non-alcoholic: Use a non-alcoholic spirit instead of tequila and Cointreau or skip it and add flavored soda (I like sugar-free ones, like LaCroix). You can also add a squeeze of orange juice to add the orange flavor Cointreau would normally add.
Keywords: passion fruit, margarita, cocktail