This Chipotle Copycat Veggie Burrito Bowl is completely vegan and just as delicious as your usual Chipotle order! All components can be made in advance to make serving it quick and easy!
Why This Recipe Works
The burritos, bowls, and salads at Chipotle are extremely popular and enjoyed by so many people on a daily basis! This recipe lets you enjoy all those amazing flavors from the comfort of your home without ordering it as take-out!
- It's really easy to make vegan or vegetarian burrito bowls at home! It's cheaper than buying them, AND you know exactly what goes in.
- You can decide how spicy or how mild you want the dish to be and add more or less of each component to your bowl as you like!
- The best part? You get tons of leftovers! Especially with the roasted chili corn salsa, I like to serve it with tortilla chips as an appetizer, it's so good!
This bowl has 8 components which makes it so delicious and just like your favorite burrito bowl at Chipotle!
- Roasted Chili Corn Salsa - You can make this up to 3 days ahead and it will still be perfectly fresh.
- Cilantro Lime Rice - This is another part you can make 2-3 days ahead. Or just keep the leftover rice and corn salsa for more burrito bowls the for following days. Leftovers are the best!
- Roasted veggies - I use bell peppers and red onions because that's what they use at Chipotle but I went with orange and red bell peppers to make it more fun!
- Black Beans - You can cook your own but I just use canned beans, it makes life so much easier.
- Romaine lettuce - Fresh lettuce is the best when chopped right before serving.
- Vegan Sour Cream - You should be able to find this in grocery stores in the fridge section. You can also use regular sour cream or skip it.
- Guacamole - Guac is best made fresh with lots of lime juice. The avocado might turn a little brown after 1-2 hours but it will still be fine to eat. Adding an avocado pit to your guacamole might prevent this.
How To Make It
Making these bowls is fairly easy, there are just a lot of steps to it. The great news is, you can prep everything ahead which speeds up the process so much!
I highly recommend making the Cilantro Lime Rice and the Roasted Chili Corn Salsa ahead of time. Those are the main components that take some time to prepare. Then when you're ready to eat, roast your veggies, heat up the rice, and assemble your bowls with the rest of the toppings!
Tomato salsa, romaine lettuce, vegan sour cream, limes, and avocado all easily keep in the fridge until you're ready to serve. I like to make the guacamole right before eating but that takes only a couple of minutes to make.
It might seem like a lot but once you start making it you'll realize how simple it really is and it's so delicious that it's definitely worth it!
Variations and Substitutions
There are a lot of components in these bowls which means there is also a ton of variations!
- Make it into a lighter salad - Skip the rice if you're not too hungry and only add the romaine lettuce.
- Store-bought salsa only - Don't have time to make the chili corn salsa? No problem! It will be just as delicious with regular tomato salsa, you can pick whichever one you want like you would at Chipotle.
- Make it spicier/milder - Add more or less chipotle powder before roasting the bell peppers based on how spicy you want the meal to be.
- Beans - If you're not a fan of black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, black-eyed beans, or even chickpeas all work great in this recipe!
You have a few choices when ordering a burrito bowl. There is a choice of white or brown rice, grilled veggies, mild/medium/hot salsa, corn salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, and lettuce. You can either make it vegetarian or fully vegan.
Yes! You can use any rice you like best or heat up some frozen cauliflower rice to make it grain-free. Quinoa also works great!
They're mild. I don't like overly spicy so I didn't go very heavy on the seasoning. Add more or less based on your preference!
Yes, they are! This recipe is made with whole grains, there is lots of protein from the beans and avocado, and there's a variety of vegetables. If you add cheese and tortilla chips it might be less healthy but still better than heavier dishes!
If you love Chipotle's Veggie Burrito Bowl, this recipe is for you! It's just like it, completely vegan, and so good!
- 4 bell peppers, seeds removed and sliced into strips
- 2 small or medium red onions, peeled and sliced into thick slices
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or other cooking oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sweet paprika powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (½ lime)
- ¼ tsp sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Burrito Bowls and Extras:
- 2 cups cooked Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup Roasted Chili Corn Salsa
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce (1 head)
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ - 1 cup tomato salsa of choice (mild or hot)
- ½ -1 cup vegan sour cream (or regular sour cream)
Optional: a lime wedge, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, or a warm tortilla wrap on the side
- Preheat your oven to 425F (220C).
- Spread the chopped bell peppers and onions on a large baking sheet and drizzle with avocado oil. In a small bowl, mix together all the spices. Sprinkle them on the veggies and toss to coat. Roast in the oven for 15 mins tossing once.
- While the vegetables are roasting, mash the avocado in a small bowl and stir in the lime juice, salt, and red pepper flakes if using.
- Cook the Cilantro Lime Rice.
- Make the Roasted Chili Corn Salsa.
- Prep the lettuce, black beans, tomato salsa, and vegan sour cream.
- Divide the rice and lettuce between 3-4 bowls, top with the roasted vegetables, black beans, roasted chili corn salsa, tomato salsa, sour cream, and a lime wedge or shredded cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
To make this ahead, prepare all the components ahead of time and store in the fridge in airtight containers until ready to eat (2-3 days). The guacamole might turn brown after a day, leaving the pit might prevent that, or just make it right before serving. Reheat the rice and the roasted veggies on a pan with a splash of water before serving.
Keywords: vegetarian, burrito, bowl, chipotle