This House Sauce is the perfect balance of creamy, salty, savory, and spicy. It's great as a dip, on burgers, sandwiches, meat, or fish. It uses simple ingredients and it can instantly elevate any dish!
What's House Sauce?
House sauce is a delicious aioli that's made with mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, relish or pickle brine, and spices. It's also sometimes called secret sauce or original sauce at restaurants. A variation of this sauce is usually the go-to sauce for most burger places and it can instantly elevate any dish. You can use it as a dipping sauce or add it to burgers or sandwiches.
Why This Recipe Works
- It goes with everything - This can be your go-to sauce for everything! You can put it on burgers, sandwiches, or any protein, or serve it as a dip with fries or anything else!
- Easy and simple - This sauce doesn't call for any hard-to-find ingredients and it's really easy to put together. It's always my go-to because it's so simple and it's always a hit.
- It's versatile - This sauce is very forgiving as far as measurements and ingredients go. It's the best with everything added in the right amounts but if you don't have everything or the right amounts, it's still gonna be just as delicious and much won't change.
- Mayonnaise - Mayo is a classic in this dip but you can also use Greek yogurt as a lighter option or a combination of the two. If you do use mayonnaise, I recommend coconut or avocado oil mayonnaise.
- Ketchup - This is what gives the sauce its pretty color and lots of flavor. Choose good quality ketchup.
- Worcestershire sauce - This adds umami flavor to the dip and I highly recommend adding it. If you don't have Worcestershire sauce, you can use tamari instead.
- Pickle brine - To keep the dip creamy and smooth, the recipe calls for pickle brine but if you prefer pickle relish, you can use that instead.
- Hot sauce - This one is optional but house sauce is usually at least a little spicy. I usually go with sriracha but you can use any hot sauce you like.
- Spices - Sweet paprika, smoked paprika, and garlic powder add lots of flavor to the sauce.
What should you serve this sauce with? Everything! This sauce can be served anywhere you'd use ketchup or any other dipping sauce. Try it with these Cajun Fries or these Crispy Breakfast Potatoes. Besides serving it as a dip, you can use it as a sauce on burgers, sandwiches, meats, chicken, or roasted tofu.
You can store any leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can even make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you're ready to eat. Just make sure the sauce is covered.
I don't recommend it, the texture might be off after defrosting. This sauce is best eaten fresh.
Yes, you can store it in the fridge for 2-3 days.
It usually has some kind of heat component and this recipe has a little bit of hot sauce too. You can adjust the amount based on your heat preference.
More Sauce Recipes
If you're looking for more dipping sauces or a sauce you could put on burgers, definitely give the four below a try! Even the avocado dressing can be used as a sauce because it's thick and creamy. Head over to the Dips, Dressings, and Spreads category to see all the latest dips and sauces.
This House Sauce is the perfect balance of creamy, salty, savory, and spicy. It's great as a dip, on burgers, sandwiches, meat, or fish.
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp pickle juice (or pickle relish)
- ½-1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ tsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
Keywords: house sauce