This Cilantro Lime Slaw is the perfect addition to tacos! Especially fish or seafood tacos. It's made with Greek yogurt, it's tangy, crunchy, and flavorful. It comes together in just 10 minutes and you only need 8 ingredients!
Why This Recipe Works
Ready in 10 minutes - This slaw calls for only 8 simple ingredients and it's incredibly easy to put togehter. It's the perfect fresh side to whip up in just a few minutes.
Simple and delicious - The creamy dressing is made with Greek yogurt which makes it healthier and lighter than classic coleslaw and the addition of lime juice and cilantro gives the slaw lots of flavor.
Great in tacos - This slaw is perfect for fish tacos or shrimp tacos. Try it in Baja fish tacos, crispy shrimp tacos, or any other tacos!
- Coleslaw mix - You can use premade bagged coleslaw mix or you can make your own by shredding green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots.
- Purple cabbage - This is totally optional but I like to add extra purple cabbage to the slaw to make it more colorful.
- Cilantro - Fresh cilantro is ideal but if you don't like cilantro, fresh parsley will work too. Dried cilantro won't give this salad nearly enough flavor, fresh is the best here.
- Lime - Freshly squeezed lime juice is always preferred because it provides the best flavor. If you're out of limes, you can use lemon juice though it will taste slightly different.
- Greek yogurt - I use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayonnaise in this recipe to make the slaw lighter and a little healthier. You can use whichever one of those you prefer and have on hand or a combination. Use vegan yogurt to keep this slaw dairy-free.
- Honey - This one is optional. It adds a little sweetness and balances the tang of the yogurt.
First, you'll mix together the dressing for the slaw.
In a medium bowl, mix together Greek yogurt, lime zest, freshly squeezed lime juice, honey (optional), ground cumin (also optional), sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
In a large bowl, mix together coleslaw mix and chopped fresh cilantro. I also like to add a little more shredded red cabbage for brighter color but this is optional. If you don't have or don't want to use coleslaw mix, you can shred equal parts of green and red cabbage and a carrot.
Add the yogurt dressing to the cabbage and cilantro mix and toss together to coat well.
You can serve the slaw immediately or store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to eat!
How to Serve It
- In tacos! Especially fish or seafood tacos. Try it in these Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Sauce! The original recipe calls for adding the cilantro sauce to the coleslaw mix but you can skip that and just add this cilantro lime slaw instead as an easier option.
- Instead of coleslaw as a lighter version
- As a side salad
Yes, you can store the slaw in an airtight container for 1-2 days. That being said, it tastes the best right after you make it while the cabbage is still crunchy and everything is fresh.
Yes! Just skip the honey or add maple syrup and swap the Greek yogurt for vegan yogurt or vegan mayonnaise.
More Simple Salads
Sometimes all you want is a simple side salad to serve with your meals. The three below are my favorites to serve as a side or added to tacos. They're simple, easy to make, and flavorful! Head over to the Salads category to see all the latest salads.
This Cilantro Lime Slaw is the perfect addition to any tacos or a delicious side. It's crunchy, tangy, and flavorful. Ready in 10 mins!
- 1 bag coleslaw mix (14 oz/400g or approx 6 cups)
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded (optional, for more color)
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lime zest
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground cumin (optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Add coleslaw mix, shredded red cabbage (if using), and chopped cilantro into a large bowl. Toss together to mix.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together Greek yogurt, lime zest, lime juice, honey, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the salad and toss together to coat well.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I find using a premade coleslaw mix the easiest but you can also make your own by shredding green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots.
The longer the cabbage sits in the yogurt lime dressing, the softer it will get. It’s best served right away but it should still remain crunchy and tasty for the first 1-2 days of storing.
Keywords: cilantro lime slaw, fish taco slaw