If you're looking for a simple festive breakfast, look no further. This Chocolate Gingerbread Oatmeal is really easy to make, it's vegan, gluten-free, and so delicious! It has so many warming winter spices thanks to the Christmas Spice Blend (Czech gingerbread spice) that I used. I also added some blueberries to the oatmeal to make it more fun and to improve the texture! This is definitely my favorite holiday breakfast!
Gingerbread and other Christmas cookies
Can you believe it's almost Christmas?! Have you baked any cookies yet? So far I've made my Vanilla Walnut Crescents, Linzer Cookies, and the Gingerbread Cookies you can see in these photos. All three recipes are gluten-free and can be made dairy AND refined sugar-free! Our family makes the same Christmas cookies every year, sometimes we make more sometimes less but there are usually 3-6 recipes we make every years. I'm glad I managed to share all three with you this year and I'm already excited to share more next Christmas! Yup, it's not even the end of December and I'm already thinking about next Christmas... Well, what can I say, Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year! It's such a magical time of the year, even better if it snows!
Simple breakfast = the best breakfast
Making this chocolate gingerbread oatmeal for breakfast is great for one main reason. You get to eat something that tastes like gingerbread cookies without doing any of the work! I don't know about you but after baking a lot and spending a lot of time in the kitchen, I don't want to spend too much time making breakfast. I want something simple and quick but still fun. This oatmeal is all that and more! Plus there's chocolate. I'm a sucker for anything chocolate and I tend to add cacao powder to my oatmeal every time, no matter what flavor I'm trying to make.
Today, I added my Christmas Gingerbread Spice which is Czech version of the popular gingerbread spice. Check out the blog post to learn more about what spices are in it. It's my favorite, you should definitely try it!
You can also bake some Gluten-free Czech Gingerbread Cookies to put on top if you want to make it extra fancy.Print
Creamy filling oats, fresh blueberries, and lots of warming spices. Vegan and GF!
- 1 cup plant-based milk (oat, almond, cashew, or hazelnut are great options)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon Christmas Spice Blend or gingerbread spice
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup (optional)
- ½ frozen blueberries
- Optional garnishes: more berries, sliced pear or apple, gingerbread cookies, nut butter
- Bring the plant-based milk to a simmer in a small pot over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to low-medium, add the rolled oats, and stir. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until creamy. Add more milk or water if necessary.
- Add the Christmas Spice Blend or gingerbread spice, raw cacao powder, vanilla extract, honey or maple syrup if using, and the blueberries. Stir until well combined and heat back up for a couple of minutes to warm up the blueberries.
- Serve immediately topped with more berries or any other toppings of your choice.
Keywords: gingerbread, oatmeal, porridge, oats