I have a secret to share with you today. I’ve developed a thing for hazelnuts in the recent months. First and foremost, there’s the Healthy “Nutella” I shared with you almost two years ago which I still love just the same. Then I shared this awesome French Lentil Broccoli Salad which was my first venture into savory hazelnuts (next up is dukkah which I can’t wait to try to make). Then I made these Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge Bites during Christmas and they were totally to die for! I shared And today I’m happy to give you a forth hazelnut favorite of mine – this hazelnut carob granola.
It’s vegan, gluten-free, and there’s no banana in it to bind it (I’ve been feeling kind of meh about mashed banana granola lately). Banana-free granola is so much crunchier! The perfect snack or yogurt topping. ;)
I wanted to share with you an update on my life but because it’s currently almost 1 am, I think I’m going to leave my deep-thought post for another time because writing about life and trying to give advice at 1 in the morning after a tiring shift at work is hardly ever a good idea. (yep I finally have a job!! well, if I stay there… I still don’t know how I feel about the place. More about that later.)
Instead, I’ll try to convince you that you should definitely make this hazelnut carob granola because first, hazelnuts are da BOMB (1 am guys), and second because granola is always a good idea. If I did that earlier this week, I could have something to snack on right now (I know you shouldn’t eat right before bed but shhh).
I don’t use carob that much actually. I don’t think it tastes like chocolate, far from it (I really don’t see how anyone could think it tastes like chocolate?) BUT it’s carob so it’s supposed to taste like carob and it turns out hazelnuts go really well with carob. Winning. I’m excited to see where else I can use carob and make it taste good. And when I do, I’ll make sure to share it with you. ;) I’m doing a lot of winking today ;) It’s now more than 1 am and I’m about to fall asleep on my keyboard so it’s probably about time I wrap this up. I hope you enjoy this granola and if you do, let me know on Instagram, I’d love to see! :)
- 2 cup raw hazelnuts (bake at 170°C for 8-10 mins), rub off the skins, set aside
- 4 cups rolled oats (certified gluten-free if you're worried about traces of gluten)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp carob powder
- 1 tsp cacao powder (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 170°C (325°F).
- Spread the hazelnuts onto a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until the skins easily come off and the nuts are slightly golden (be sure not to burn them).
- Take them out and let them cool down.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil over low heat, add the maple syrup, carob, cacao (if using), vanilla, cinnamon (if using), and sea salt and stir to combine until there are no lumps.
- Into a big bowl add the oats and the carob sauce. Stir with a spoon to cover all the oats.
- Spread the carob oats onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake for 15 minutes.
- While that's baking, remove as many skins off of the hazelnuts as you can by rubbing them together.
- Add them to the granola and bake for additional 5 minutes.
- Let the granola cool down completely before storing it. Keeps well in a glass jar for up to 4 weeks.