Do you enjoy cauliflower as much as I do? This Smoky Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower with Yogurt Dip is definitely a crowd-pleaser. Everyone loves it! It's smoky, salty, savory, and full of flavor. It can be made completely vegan and gluten-free by using vegan yogurt. Serve it as an appetizer, side, snack, or as a main with rice or on a big salad!
I got the idea for this recipe while taking photos of the Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower Steaks I shared last month. I wanted to make another cauliflower recipe but make it smokier and more sauce-y. One of my most popular recipes on the blog is this Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Salad. Cajun seasoning is definitely one of my favorite spice blends along with Za'atar.
I wasn't going to use Za'atar for this recipe this time because I've posted a lot of recipes using it lately, but it just goes so well with the other flavors. Smoked paprika, salty tamari, garlic, and onion. So good! I could honestly eat this every day. With hummus or the homemade yogurt dip I'm sharing as a snack or with rice or potatoes as a main. It's also great in a salad! Mixed greens or kale, cucumber, crispy red onion, and this roasted cauliflower. Just add one tablespoon more of extra virgin olive oil to the yogurt dip and use it as a dressing!
More Za'atar recipes:
- Homemade Za'atar Spice Blend
- Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Za'atar Roasted Eggplant Lentil Salad with Sun-dried Tomatoes (my favorite!)
Smoky Za’atar Roasted Cauliflower with Yogurt Dip
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 1-3 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This roasted cauliflower is smoky, salty, savory, and full of flavor. It can be made completely vegan and GF by using vegan yogurt. Serve it as an appetizer, side, snack, or as a main with rice or on a big salad!
Smoky Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower, stem removed and cut into small florets
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 Tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp za’atar spice blend*
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp onion powder
- 1 Tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ Tsp chipotle powder
- ½ cup vegan yogurt (or greek yogurt)
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (I did a mix of dill, mint, and chives. You can use 1 tsp of dried herbs instead)
- ½ Tsp garlic powder (or 1 small clove of garlic, minced)
- 1 Tsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Spread the cauliflower florets on a baking pan. In a small bowl, mix together the sesame oil, honey, za’atar spice, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, rice vinegar, tamari, and chipotle powder. Pour over the cauliflower and toss to coat. Roast for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, make the dip. In a bowl, mix the yogurt, chopped fresh herbs, garlic powder or garlic, honey, lemon juice, olive oil, and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Best served warm with the dip on the side.
*If you don’t have za’atar spice, you can substitute it with 1 teaspoon each oregano, thyme, marjoram (or just one or two of them if that’s all you have), 2 teaspoon sesame seeds, and a pinch of salt. Za’atar also contains Sumac but it can be left out if you don’t have it. Add a teaspoon of pomegranate molasses or 1 tablespoon pomegranate juice if you have to add the tangy salty flavor sumac has.
Keywords: cauliflower, zaatar, yogurt dip
This looks like a great side dish for the holiday table. Love the spice profile. I know this would be a hit in my house.
This roasted cauliflower takes this vegetable to a whole new level! It's great as an appetizer.
Delicious! The flavors are incredible! This is going to be a regular side dish for sure. Thanks for sharing!
Dang this looks good! My kind of food and it looks easy to make too!
To answer the question, I actually don't like cauliflower but I'm thinking maybe your recipe will make it edible for me! I sure would love to get more cauliflower into my diet.
I love how flavorful this looks! Thanks for the za’atar spice sub. That's something I don't have in my pantry! What vegan sub would you recommend for the honey? Thanks! :)
Another fantastic recipe with versatile cauliflower! I'm a huge fan of zaatar, so I just know this is going to be super delicious!
Veronika | thehealthfulideas
@Alex You can use maple syrup as a substitute for the honey! :)
Roasted veggies are always my favorite! Smoky zatar spice is amazing with cauliflower. Looks like a perfect guilt-free mid meal snack to me.
Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey
We love cauliflower and zattar, this side dish look wonderful. Such a great recipe and definitely is a keeper!
This is such a fantastic recipe. Cauliflower looks amazing with all these spices. I simply must make this. It's perfect fall inspired recipe. Love it! Thanks!