Do you enjoy cauliflower as much as I do? This Smoky Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower with Yogurt Dip is definitely a crowd-pleaser. Everyone loves it! It's smoky, salty, savory, and full of flavor. It can be made completely vegan and gluten-free by using vegan yogurt. Serve it as an appetizer, side, snack, or as a main with rice or on a big salad!
I got the idea for this recipe while taking photos of the Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower Steaks I shared last month. I wanted to make another cauliflower recipe but make it smokier and more sauce-y. One of my most popular recipes on the blog is this Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Salad. Cajun seasoning is definitely one of my favorite spice blends along with Za'atar.
I wasn't going to use Za'atar for this recipe this time because I've posted a lot of recipes using it lately, but it just goes so well with the other flavors. Smoked paprika, salty tamari, garlic, and onion. So good! I could honestly eat this every day. With hummus or the homemade yogurt dip I'm sharing as a snack or with rice or potatoes as a main. It's also great in a salad! Mixed greens or kale, cucumber, crispy red onion, and this roasted cauliflower. Just add one tablespoon more of extra virgin olive oil to the yogurt dip and use it as a dressing!
More Za'atar recipes:
- Homemade Za'atar Spice Blend
- Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Za'atar Roasted Eggplant Lentil Salad with Sun-dried Tomatoes (my favorite!)
This roasted cauliflower is smoky, salty, savory, and full of flavor. It can be made completely vegan and GF by using vegan yogurt. Serve it as an appetizer, side, snack, or as a main with rice or on a big salad!
Smoky Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower, stem removed and cut into small florets
- 3 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon za’atar spice blend*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ cup vegan yogurt (or greek yogurt)
- 1-2 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (I did a mix of dill, mint, and chives. You can use 1 teaspoon of dried herbs instead)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 small clove of garlic, minced)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Spread the cauliflower florets on a baking pan. In a small bowl, mix together the sesame oil, honey, za’atar spice, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, rice vinegar, tamari, and chipotle powder. Pour over the cauliflower and toss to coat. Roast for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, make the dip. In a bowl, mix the yogurt, chopped fresh herbs, garlic powder or garlic, honey, lemon juice, olive oil, and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Best served warm with the dip on the side.
*If you don’t have za’atar spice, you can substitute it with 1 teaspoon each oregano, thyme, marjoram (or just one or two of them if that’s all you have), 2 teaspoon sesame seeds, and a pinch of salt. Za’atar also contains Sumac but it can be left out if you don’t have it. Add a teaspoon of pomegranate molasses or 1 tablespoon pomegranate juice if you have to add the tangy salty flavor sumac has.
Keywords: cauliflower, zaatar, yogurt dip