Have you ever heard of smashed potatoes? It's such an easy side dish or a snack! I've been seeing recipes for smashed potatoes eeeeverywhere lately haha. This is the most basic recipe for smashed potatoes. It's basically just a base recipe. You can add more spices to make it more flavorful but I like these simple. So good served as a side.
Smashed potatoes are great served with roasted vegetables or simply with some cut up carrots or cucumbers with hummus, guacamole, or any other dip you like. Here I serve them with vegan garlic aioli.
It's been all about pantry friendly recipes lately or recipes made with vegetables that have a longer shelf life like potatoes, onions, squash, or carrots.
There's a lot of ways you can season these. I'm sharing a simple version with just salt and pepper.
Other smashed potatoes seasoning ideas:
- Thyme, rosemary, sea salt, pepper
- Oregano, thyme, marjoram, sumac, sesame seeds (za'atar spice mix)
- Cajun mix seasoning
- Chili powder
For this recipe, I opted for simple salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder seasoning. I've said it before but my favorite spices and herbs are either from Simply Organic or Frontier Natural. They're good quality and organic but my favorite thing about Simply Organic spices is that they have written the name of the spice written on the lid haha. I store all my spices in a drawer so it's incredibly useful to easily see where everything is.
My favorite spice is this Garlic Powder by Simply Organic.
You could also use various sauces besides just using spices. For example tamari or miso mixed with maple syrup and sesame oil. The options are literally endless! I absolutely LOVE these. The potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.Print
- 16 small potatoes (new potatoes)
- avocado or coconut oil (preferably a spray bottle)
- sea salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).
- Wash the potatoes (do not peel) and in a big pot, bring them to a boil and cook for 15-20 mins until soft.
- Dry them off with a paper towel and spread them on a baking sheet.
- Smash the potatoes with the back of a glass.
- Spray or drizzle with avocado oil and season with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste and toss to cover.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until golden. Do not flip to avoid the potatoes to fall apart. Serve immediately.
Keywords: smashed, potatoes