This Black Mojito is the perfect spooky cocktail for Halloween! It's made with activated charcoal that makes the drink naturally black. A mocktail version is included!
Why This Recipe Works
Perfect for Halloween - Adding charcoal to cocktails is my favorite way to turn classic cocktails into spooky ones for special occasions just like I did with this Black Margarita!
No food coloring - Activated charcoal is sold as a supplement in health food stores and is completely natural. It usually comes in capsules you can easily open. It's a great addition to any foods you want to turn black without the use of food coloring!
Easy to make into a mocktail - You can easily turn this mojito into a black lemonade by leaving out the rum. It'll still be delicious and a fun drink to serve!
- White rum - This is a classic for a mojito and it can't be missing in this one! My go-to brands are Bacardi or Plantation. Bacardi is very mild and most often used in cocktails. Plantation has a stronger taste and will be more noticeable in a cocktail.
- Fresh mint - Both spearmint and peppermint work. Peppermint has a stronger flavor but they can both be used.
- Lime - Fresh lime is necessary because you're chopping it up into the drink. If you're in a pinch, you can use bottled lime juice (preferably not from a concentrate) but I highly recommend using fresh lime.
- Cane sugar - Any sweetener works here. Cane sugar is the most natural tasting one that won't change the flavor of the drink. Maple syrup or agave also both work great.
- Activated charcoal - I use capsules that you can open and empty into the drink. Look for ones that only contain activated charcoal and no fillers. Sometimes they also contain ginger which is fine, it doesn't add any flavor. Charcoal is flavorless and helps with digestion. It's also said to help with hangovers so it's a great addition to a cocktail!
Making this cocktail is super simple, it's just like any other mojito, except you're adding charcoal in there to make it black!
Start by chopping your lime and adding it to a tall glass with a handful of mint leaves and cane sugar. I like saving a slice of lime and a spring of mint for garnish.
Use a cocktail muddler to mash everything together and release the juices.
Open up one activated charcoal capsule and add it to the mashed lime and mint. Add white rum and mix everything together with a cocktail spoon.
Fill the glass with ice and add your reserved slice of lime. Top up the drink with sparkling water or flavored soda and garnish with a string of mint. Serve immediately and enjoy!
A Mocktail Version
Making a non-alcoholic version of this drink couldn't be easier! All you have to do is skip the rum and you can follow the rest of the instructions as you normally would.
I recommend using a flavored soda instead of plain sparkling water to make the drink more fun. I like lime-flavored ones without added sugar like Lacroix but any soda you like and have works!
It's charcoal that has been treated with oxygen at high temperatures. This process reduces the size of the pores and increases the surface area. This makes the charcoal more absorbent. I recommend always choosing coconut charcoal.
No. Activated charcoal is black odorless and flavorless powder. It won't change the flavor of the drink but if you add too much, it might taste a little "powdery". One capsule is enough for 1-2 drinks.
It helps with digestive issues and can even help with immediate food poisoning because it absorbs anything it comes in contact with and helps the body to detox. It's also said to help with hangovers when taken before drinking and the next morning. Always remember to drink plenty of water because charcoal can be dehydrating and so is alcohol. (This is not meant as medical advice. Always consult a doctor before adding any supplements to your diet.)
Other Rum Cocktails
Mojito is definitely my favorite cocktail which is why there are multiple variations on the blog. If you'd like to try a more fall-appropriate cocktail, try this Spiced Rum Apple Cider Cocktail. To see all the latest cocktail recipes, head over to the Cocktails category!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Cocktail
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: Cuban
- Diet: Vegan
- A handful of fresh mint leaves (about 15, plus more for garnish)
- 1 lime, sliced and chopped (save a slice for garnish if desired)
- ½ oz simple syrup or 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 oz white rum
- 1 activated charcoal capsule (approx. ¼ tsp)
- Sparkling water
- Add mint leaves, chopped lime, and simple syrup to a tall glass.
- Using a cocktail muddler, muddle everything together to release the juices of the lime and the mint.
- Add the white rum and empty one charcoal capsule into the glass. Swirl the drink around to mix everything or use a long cocktail spoon to stir everything together.
- Fill up the glass with ice and top up with sparkling water. Don’t stir again, the sparkling water should create a fun ombre effect with the black cocktail staying on the bottom.
- Garnish with a slice of lime and a spring of fresh mint. Serve with a straw and stir before enjoying.
Keywords: black mojito, activated charcoal
I just love this idea for Halloween! I always love a good mojito, and that charcoal adds such a spooky, festive touch.
Such a fan drink, I can't wait to make this for my Halloween guests.
Love the combination of rum, mint, and lime in this cocktail! The activated charcoal also helps to make it the perfect drink to make and share this spooky season.
This black mojito is perfect for Halloween. I'm going to look for some activated charcoal asap so I can make these for our party guests. Thank you!
This Black Mojito is pure genius ! I will be making this for our annual Halloween party.
What a dark and mysterious cocktail recipe! This is definitely perfect for any fall gathering!
Such a fun Halloween cocktail! Looking for activated charcoal tomorrow so I can do a test run before Halloween. I love mojitos!
Loreto and Nicoletta
This is a great cocktail for a Halloween. It is truly spooky and haunting. Love that it is really simple. Thanjs for the knowledge on activated charcoal, never knew about it. But what a great way to achieve the color without using artificial coloring! Well done!
The perfect cocktail for Halloween! I love that the charcoal doesn't really have a taste. Spooky drink :)
Fun spooky drink idea! It would be fun to pass these out on Halloween to neighbors!