Black Margarita is the perfect spooky drink for Halloween. It's made with activated charcoal and no artificial coloring! It's fun to make and tastes just like your favorite classic margarita!
What Makes This Cocktail Special
- It's spooky!! Black margarita is perfect for Halloween. You can make a single serving or a big batch!
- There are no artificial colors. The black color is achieved by adding activated charcoal.
- Activated charcoal is great for preventing hangovers so adding it to your alcoholic drinks may actually help with how you feel the next day!
- It's low in sugar. The recipe calls for just a teaspoon or a tablespoon of maple syrup as a sweetener.
Tequila - I use silver (also called blanco) tequila for this drink. It's milder and lighter than gold tequila would be.
Cointreau - Any orange liqueur will work here.
Lime juice - Use freshly squeezed lime juice whenever possible, it always tastes better.
Orange bitters - This is optional but recommended for an extra layer of flavor!
Activated Charcoal - I use one capsule for the drink itself and one to make the DIY black salt. It makes the drink black without adding any weird aftertaste. Activated charcoal is virtually tasteless.
You can buy it in most health food stores or anywhere they sell supplements. You can also get it online. Make sure there aren't any other ingredients added. Some capsules contain ginger which aids digestion but might change the taste of the drink slightly.
A Non-Alcoholic Version
To make this drink into a virgin black margarita, simply skip the tequila, Cointreau, and orange bitters if they contain alcohol.
- add some orange extract to make up for the cointreau and bitters (¼ teaspoon should be enough for a single serving)
- top the drink up with some sparkling water to make it more fun
Making a margarita is really simple and takes only a few minutes.
Always start by getting all your ingredients ready.
Run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass and dip it in your black salt (made by mixing activated charcoal and fine sea salt). Fill it with ice and set it aside.
Into a cocktail shaker or a mason jar, add tequila, Cointreau, orange bitters, lime juice, and activated charcoal (carefully open up a capsule and empty it into the shaker). Add a handful of ice, tightly close, and shake for about 10 seconds until the shaker is very cold to touch.
Pour into the prepared glass over ice and enjoy!
It's a regular margarita with activated charcoal to make it black and spooky!
No, not at all! When you're buying activated charcoal capsules, make sure there are no added ingredients that would change the taste like ginger.
Yes, totally! Simply skip all the alcohol, add orange extract, and top with sparkling water.
More Cocktails with Tequila
If you're a big fan of margarita just like me, check out these three variations I've sharedPrint
This Black Margarita is the perfect spooky Halloween cocktail!
- 1 tbsp fine sea salt
- 1 activated charcoal capsule
- 1 lime wedge (for the glass rim)
- 1 ½ oz blanco Tequila
- ½ oz Cointreau (or other orange liqueur)
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 dash orange bitters (optional)
- ½ oz maple syrup (or agave or simple syrup)
- 1 activated charcoal capsule
- Ice cubes
- Add the fine sea salt to a small bowl and open up the charcoal capsule. Mix well and transfer to a small shallow plate.
- Run the lime wedge along the rim of your glass and dip it in the black salt. Set aside.
- Add the Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, orange bitters, and maple syrup to a cocktail shaker. Open up the capsule and add the powder to the shaker. Add a handful of ice and shake for a few seconds.
- Pour into the prepared glass over ice and enjoy.
- I like to add a splash of orange-flavored sparkling water sometimes to make the drink less strong. You can also serve this in a margarita glass without the ice which is more traditional.
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can use a mason jar.
Keywords: black margarita