What makes the best cheesy vegan avocado spread you ask? It's the perfect combination of nutritional yeast, delicious creamy avocados, and spices such as garlic, onion, and herbs. I love how this spread turned out. It's super delicious on a slice of toasted gluten-free bread or even as a dip! It's especially tasty on the bread you see in the pictures. It's this GF buckwheat bread full of sunflower & pumpkin seeds and I really want to recreate the recipe for you guys because it's literally out of this world. Now let's talk about this avocado spread amazingness.
If you want to see more avocado recipes, you can check these three out. They're pure happiness! Avocado Toast — 4 ways, Brown Rice Pasta with Creamy Cilantro Sauce, Roasted Zucchini Rolls with Guacamole Filling
Now let's talk about this avocado spread amazingness.
Personally, I really like the taste of nutritional yeast. If you're not a fan of it, you probably won't like this but in that case, I'd just skip the nutritional yeast and season the spread with the rest of the spices. It's still gonna be delicious.
Nutritional yeast adds that something that is missing in anything vegan that's lacking cheese. I dare say it tastes even better than real cheese. *gasps* Why? Well, because I never really liked regular cheese, or any other cow milk products, really. If I feel like adding cheese to my salad or on a toast or something, I always go for goat's cheese because I prefer the taste of it but lately I've been avoiding even that because it tends to have table salt in the ingredients list which is a big no no in my book.
Sooooo... let's ditch the cheeses and have a nutritional yeast party! YAY! Or, well, at least any kind of party as an excuse to serve this as a spread or a dip because it's heaven. Yes, it's that good.
If you're getting tired of the basic avocado on toast with salt, pepper, and lime juice combo, try this! This spread has all that and so much more. It's like avocado on toast on steroids. Toast your bread, then hide it under a generous layer of this delicious spread, and serve with cherry tomatoes, kimchi, and other veggies of your choice. YUM.
How do you make the best cheesy vegan avocado spread?
- Mash the avocado
- Add the lime or lemon juice
- Mix in the spices and the nutritional yeast
- That's it! So easy, right?!
I think I'm gonna go make this right about NOW. Yep. Happy snacking!
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or lime if you don't have any lemons)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼-½ teaspoon onion powder (start with ¼ tsp and add more to taste)
- ⅛ tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
- ¼ tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro, or chives (optional)
- Mash the avocados, place them in a small bowl along with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well, taste, and add more seasoning if desired.
- Alternatively, you can throw everything into a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. (for the first option is much more convenient, unless you need to mash 20 avocados, because who has time to clean a food processor, right?)
- That's it! It's that simple.
- The spread should last in the fridge for 2-3 days, though the avocados already start to brown on the second day so it's best to always make this fresh.