5 ingredients, 1 bowl and less than 30 minutes to make. These Zesty Lemon Coconut Energy Balls are easy to make and so delicious!
Delicious lemon and coconut energy snack
These Lemon Coconut Energy Balls are a great healthy snack and a great change if you tend to always grab the chocolate-flavored energy bars at the store.
The lemon zest gives these energy balls great freshness and goes really well with the coconut flakes.
They're incredibly easy to make and they'll last you a week in the fridge. You can also freeze them for up to a month and defrost them as needed.
They're made with Medjool dates which make these a great pre-workout snack. The carbs give you all the energy you need and each ball also has 1.5g of protein.
What ingredients do you need to make these energy balls?
It's super simple, you only need 6 simple ingredients with 1 extra optional one.
- raw cashews - Cashews have a mild flavor and let all the other flavors here shine but you can use almonds if you don't have cashews.
- shredded coconut (unsweetened) - Make sure to use shredded coconut, not flakes.
- sea salt - Salt balances all the flavors and brings out the sweetness of the dates.
- Medjool dates - These are essential, they bind everything together and make the energy balls sweet.
- lemon zest - Citrus zest is the star of the show here. You can also use orange zest.
- freshly squeezed lemon juice - Just like the zest, you can substitute lemon juice for orange juice here.
- optional: lemon extract - I like using lemon extract or lemon oil to enhance the lemon flavor even more but it's just as delicious without it.
I love making energy balls because there are endless flavor combinations and they're so easy to make!
All you need to do is throw it all into a food processor and let it do its thing until it's all ready to eat. Then you just take the dough out and shape it into little bites and it's done.
Zesty coconut-y energy balls perfect for your next snack attack. You'll be glad you made them (speaking from experience)!
More sweet vegan snack recipesPrint
Delicious zesty coconut energy balls that only require 6 ingredients and less than 30 mins to make! Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 cups shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- pinch sea salt
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ lemon extract (optional)
- Place the cashews, shredded coconut, and salt into a food processor and pulse a few times until crumbly.
- Add the dates, lemon zest, lemon juice, and the lemon extract (if using) and process until you get dough consistency (only a few minutes). It should stick together when you press it between your fingers.
- Roll into small balls, about ½ tablespoon at a time (you can wet your hands if it gets too sticky).
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for a week or in the freezer for a month.
These would also be delicious with orange zest and juice instead of lemon.
Keywords: citrus, lemon, coconut, snack