Time flies so fast! I've wanted to share these sweet potato rounds with you for quite some time so I'm happy I can finally give you the recipe today. And don't think that you can only top these with the hummus, pesto, and goat cheese you see in the pictures. These are sooo versatile! You just slice the sweet potato thinly and top it with whatever you like! These would also be delicious with some guacamole and chili flakes or with baba ganoush to give you two more ideas. ;)
You can decide for yourself if you want to make these with oil or without. I usually melt a little bit of coconut oil and drizzle it as evenly as possible on the sweet potatoes and spread it out on the rounds old school with my fingers if I feel like doing the extra step. You can also drizzle on some olive oil and just toss them which saves time but I like to use coconut because it can tolerate higher temperatures. When you don't add any oil at all, the sweet potato rounds kind of just blacken and become tough. Just drizzle them a little bit and you should be fine. You can cut them thinner for crunchier rounds or thicker to make them softer. Just be careful, the thinner they are, the quicker they cook. Keep an eye out on them to make sure they don't burn. I that when I cut them too thin, they're good one minute and the next they're completely back so just check them often.
I wanted to give you a bit of an update on Toronto but there's not much to tell tbh. It's tough. All of it. I still don't have a job or a place to live for next month. To rent a place you need a credit check and a job but as a foreigner, you don't have any credit score and to get it you need to at least have a credit card which you don't get unless you have a job. To get a job you need a place to stay at least a temporary one. I'm in an Airbnb and people look at me all confused every time I say I don't want them to send anything to the address because it's not my permanent one (bank, phone no. - there's so much to send!). It's all just an endless cycle of confusion. I'd love to talk more about this or any other updates/feelings/opinions/etc. and share some pictures but writing it all here seems weird and confusing, I'd rather just talk about the recipes on the recipe posts instead of my opinion on human existence.
I'd love to talk more about this or any other updates/feelings/opinions/etc. and share some pictures but writing it all here seems weird and confusing, I'd rather just talk about the recipes on the recipe posts instead of my opinion on human existence.
I've actually created a portfolio website which should be ready soon (finally! had so many annoying problems with it) where aside from my photos, I'll have a blog section where I'd love to share more personal writing with travel/lifestyle photos. It'll be a space where I'll be more comfortable sharing stuff because I think only those who really want to read it will visit the blog as opposed to someone finding a recipe for these sweet potato rounds with pesto on Pinterest who doesn't care about my life updates. I feel super passionate about photography and video and I can;t wait to start sharing more with you. :)
That's it for today, I'll talk to you next Thursday and until then, you should try these beauties, they're super delicious and I'm sure you'd like them. The perfect appetizer!
A delicious appetizer that's fairly easy to make with a few ingredients but impresses!
- 2-3 (or more) sweet potatoes (slimmer ones to achieve smaller bites), peeled if not organic
- Sea salt, pepper
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- Toppings (increase the amount if you have more sweet potatoes):
- ½ cup hummus
- ¼ cup arugula basil pesto (recipe here)
- Soft goat Cheese (optional, skip to keep them vegan)
- Roasted beets (optional, from my pesto recipe here)
- Honey or maple syrup if vegan (for drizzling, optional)
- Handful Sprouts
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Slice your sweet potatoes into thin rounds (2-4mm), spread them onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper, season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, flip, season on the other side and drizzle with another 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Roast sweet potatoes for 30 mins, flip and roast for 15-25 mins more (you can turn on the fan for the last 10-15 minutes lowering to heat to 160°C).
- Thake them out of the oven and let them cool slightly (or completely) before adding toppings.
- Top the rounds with hummus, pesto, goat cheese, roasted beets. Drizzle with honey and top with sprouts.
You can top these with basically anything you want. Use them for appetizers instead of bread.
Keywords: sweet potato rounds