This Salted Caramel Nut Butter is vegan, contains no processed sugar, and is really easy to make. It's creamy, thick, and deliciously sticky!
Why you'll love this vegan caramel nut butter
If you've never made homemade nut butter, make this one. It's sweet, salty, sticky, and delicious on anything sweet.
Ingredients you need to make this nut butter
- Almonds - you can use only almonds or only cashews if you want, I find the combination of the two work the best in this recipe
- Coconut Sugar - this adds great sweetness and deep flavor
- Vanilla extract or vanilla powder - definitely add some vanilla, it adds so much flavor
- Sea salt - Brings out the sweetness of the coconut sugar and maple syrup and rounds all the flavors.
- Maple syrup - this is what makes the nut butter sticky and thick. If you prefer looser nut butter, substitute it for more coconut sugar or omit it completely.
The toasted nuts, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla are what gives this nut butter its 'caramel' flavor. I don't actually add any caramel, it's just the combination of everything that simulates the flavor.
That's what makes this so simple and easy. Just toast the nuts and throw everything into the food processor!
How to make sticky Salted Caramel Nut Butter
The rule is to never put liquid sweeteners in your nut butter because the fat from the nuts reacts with it and it ends up being very VERY thick and sticky.
I wanted it to be really sticky, like caramel so I add the maple syrup.
When you blend in the maple syrup, it forms a ball but when you process it some more, it does get creamy and smooth again.
You could stop at the ball phase and make small energy balls with the dough instead of butter and cover them in chocolate!
More nut butter recipes:Print
Delicious vegan salted caramel nut butter. Delicious on toasted bread with chia jam.
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (or the seeds of 1 vanilla beans or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (this will make it VERY sticky, sub 1 tbsp coconut sugar if you want it runnier, or omit completely)
- Preheat your oven to 170C (325F).
- Roast the nuts on a baking sheet for 15 minutes or until slightly golden. Let cool completely.
- Add them to a food processor and process into flour (1 minute or so), then add the coconut sugar, vanilla, and sea salt and process until creamy butter forms. This can take anywhere from 10-25 minutes. When you think it's done, process some more.
- If you don't want the butter to be thick and sticky like it is in the pictures (almost cookie dough consistency) DO NOT add a liquid sweetener of any kind. Add more coconut sugar instead or no sugar at all if you feel like it's sweet enough.
- When you add the maple syrup, it will form a ball but if you blend it some more, it will get somewhat creamy again. If it gets too hot from the blending, turn the food processor off and give it a break before blending some more.
- Store in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Wait until it cools down before placing it in the fridge, though.
You can use only almonds or only cashews if that's all you have.
Keywords: vegan, caramel, nut butter, snack