Delicious vegan salted caramel nut butter. Delicious on toasted bread with chia jam.
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (or the seeds of 1 vanilla beans or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (this will make it VERY sticky, sub 1 tbsp coconut sugar if you want it runnier, or omit completely)
- Preheat your oven to 170C (325F).
- Roast the nuts on a baking sheet for 15 minutes or until slightly golden. Let cool completely.
- Add them to a food processor and process into flour (1 minute or so), then add the coconut sugar, vanilla, and sea salt and process until creamy butter forms. This can take anywhere from 10-25 minutes. When you think it's done, process some more.
- If you don't want the butter to be thick and sticky like it is in the pictures (almost cookie dough consistency) DO NOT add a liquid sweetener of any kind. Add more coconut sugar instead or no sugar at all if you feel like it's sweet enough.
- When you add the maple syrup, it will form a ball but if you blend it some more, it will get somewhat creamy again. If it gets too hot from the blending, turn the food processor off and give it a break before blending some more.
- Store in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Wait until it cools down before placing it in the fridge, though.
You can use only almonds or only cashews if that's all you have.
Keywords: vegan, caramel, nut butter, snack