This Strawberry Banana Chocolate Smoothie is naturally sweetened with just fruit but it tastes like a dessert! It makes a great snack or breakfast with added protein. It comes together in just a few minutes and calls for just 6 simple ingredients.
Why This Recipe Works
Naturally sweetened - There are no added sweeteners in this smoothie. It's sweetened with just bananas and strawberries. If you'd like, you can add Medjool dates or a little bit of maple syrup to sweeten the smoothie.
Simple and quick - The recipe calls for just 6 simple ingredients and it comes together in minutes! Leave out the protein powder to make it into a light snack or dessert or keep it in for a delicious light breakfast!
Packed with nutrients - Raw cacao powder is packed with antioxidants, iron, magnesium, and calcium, and it's said to be a natural mood elevator which explains why we all feel better after eating some chocolate! If you want to add even more superfoods, maca or lucuma powder are great options!
- Strawberries - You want to use frozen strawberries here or a mix of frozen and fresh berries. Frozen strawberries will thicken the drink up and make it creamier.
- Banana - Frozen banana makes this smoothie extra creamy and thick. You can leave it out but it won't be as smooth and thick.
- Milk - Any milk you prefer works here. I usually add almond milk or light coconut milk.
- Cacao powder - You can use either cacao powder or cocoa powder. Cacao is the raw unroasted version of cocoa and generally has more nutrients and a stronger chocolatey flavor so it's always my go-to.
- Protein powder - This is optional but if you're making this smoothie for breakfast, I highly recommend adding protein powder to make it more filling. Plain, vanilla, or chocolate protein all work great.
- Vanilla extract - You can use vanilla extract, paste, powder, or the seeds from a vanilla bean. Vanilla goes really well with chocolate and it rounds out all the flavors really well.
Variations and Substitutions
- Other berries - Frozen raspberries would be delicious in this smoothie if you don't have strawberries on hand.
- Make it thicker - Add less milk and more bananas to make it into more of a soft-serve banana ice cream rather than a smoothie. You can use a food processor to make blending it easier without much liquid.
- Spices - Add some ground cinnamon or ginger to the smoothie for added flavor and health benefits. I love adding cinnamon to my smoothies with fruit or any other sugar because it helps to balance blood sugar.
Simply add all your ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth.
I highly recommend you add the milk first. It helps everything blend easier and prevents the powders from sticking to the bottom of the blender. If the smoothie is too thick, add more milk or water. Sometimes air bubbles might form. Just stir the smoothie to get rid of them and help everything blend properly.
Serving and Storing
Just like any other smoothie, this one is best made right to serving when it's extra cold from the frozen fruit. If you need to store it, keep it in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Choose the best-fitting jar because the less air there is in the jar, the longer the smoothie will stay fresh.
Serve the smoothie in a glass garnished with a strawberry or in a bowl with your favorite toppings like fresh berries, nuts, seeds, granola, or yogurt.
Cacao is the unroasted raw version of cocoa powder. It has a more chocolatey flavor (in my opinion) and you can use less of it to achieve the same amount of flavor in a dish. It's also said to have more antioxidants because it hasn't been heated.
Frozen banana is what makes the smoothie creamy. Coconut meat from a young Thai coconut can also be used, fresh or frozen. Frozen cauliflower or avocado might also be good options but avocado might change the flavor.
This Strawberry Banana Chocolate Smoothie is creamy, naturally sweetened, and so easy to make! It makes a great snack or breakfast.
- Add everything into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth. Add more milk or water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Pour into a tall glass, garnish with a strawberry slice and chocolate shavings if desired and enjoy!
Adding liquids first into your blender will help everything blend more smoothly.
Keywords: strawberry smoothie, strawberry banana chocolate smoothie