Halloumi Sandwich with Roasted Vegetables. This delicious sandwich is made with Mediterranean Halloumi cheese, roasted vegetables, creamy hummus, avocado, and tangy pickled onions. Ready to eat in 30 minutes!
The Best Halloumi Sandwich
What does your dream sandwich consist of? Mine is this one. A sandwich made with salty grilled halloumi cheese, creamy hummus, avocado, sprouts, quick pickled onions, and lots of roasted vegetables with simple seasoning.
So simple, yet so good!
Why is it the best? It combines a bunch of different flavors and textures. The crunchy toast, tangy pickled onion, creamy hummus, and salty halloumi all together make for the perfect sandwich!
I'm also a big fan of this Goat Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Pear and Sage. If you like goat cheese, you'll love that sandwich too!
Halloumi Sandwich Tips
- Pan-sear the halloumi right before serving. Halloumi tastes the best straight from the pan while it's still warm and soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. If you do need to make this sandwich ahead though, no worries, it's still going to be tasty!
- Make it into a sandwich, a panini, or an open-face sandwich based on the bread you use. A regular "toast" bread and sourdough are the best for sandwiches or paninis. Ciabattas and Focaccias are great for paninis. And baguettes that are very crispy on the outside are best for open-face sandwiches.
- I highly recommend storing everything separately. This will ensure your sandwich won't become soggy. Store the seared halloumi cheese and roasted vegetables in the fridge for 1-2 days. Whenever possible, pan-sear the halloumi right before serving.
- Storing Finished Sandwiches: Store in a container or a ziplock bag for a few hours at room temperature or in the fridge. I recommend toasting the bread before making the sandwich and eating it within 4-5 hours, the sandwiches will get soggy over time.
- How to prevent soggy sandwiches: I find toasting the bread before making the sandwiches helps a lot. If you need to store your finished sandwiches for longer, you can skip the hummus and add a leaf of dry lettuce on each side of the bread so it doesn't soak up the moisture from the roasted vegetables.
No, it can be eaten raw but it tastes the best grilled or pan-seared.
Simply cook it on a nonstick pan. You don't need any oil! The cheese is oily enough and doesn't stick.
Halloumi is a medium soft salty cheese that has a 'squeeky' texture once cooked when you bite into it. It's great with roasted vegetables and salads.
No, halloumi has a high melting point which makes it perfect for grilling.
What to serve this sandwich with
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Greek Potato Salad with Feta
- Za'atar Roasted Eggplant Salad with Lentils
Halloumi Sandwich with Roasted Vegetables
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegetarian
Delicious layered halloumi sandwich with roasted veggies, hummus, and creamy avocado.
- 2 bell peppers, cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 zucchini, cut in half and into slices (about 10 slices)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- sea salt & pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon za’atar spice blend (optional)
- 150 g halloumi cheese
- 8 slices of bread
- ⅓ cup plain hummus
- ¼ cup quick pickled red onions (see notes)
- 1 cup sprouts of choice
- 1 avocado, divided into quarters, thinly sliced
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- On a large baking sheet, lay out the halved bell peppers, and zucchini slices.
- Brush with avocado oil on one side, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt, a little bit of freshly cracked black pepper, and za’atar spice if desired. Flip, brush with more avocado oil, and season with sea salt, pepper, and za’atar again.
- Roast for 15 minutes, flipping once halfway through roasting. When the bell peppers are cool enough to touch, cut them into strips. Set aside.
- Cut your halloumi into 8 slices approx. 0.5cm (0.2 in) thick (2 per sandwich).
- Heat up a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the halloumi slices to the hot pan without any oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until very golden brown.
- To make a sandwich, take two slices of bread (toast them first if desired), spread 1 tablespoon of the hummus on one side.
- Layer 2-3 slices of the roasted zucchini on the hummus, 4-5 strips of the roasted bell peppers, 2 slices of the halloumi, 1 tablespoon of the pickled onions, approx. ¼ cup of sprouts and ¼ of sliced avocado.
- Top with the other slice of bread. Cut in half if desired and enjoy! Repeat with the rest of the sandwiches.
Quick pickled red onion: Peel and thinly slice 1 red onion and add it to a mason jar. In a small pot, bring to a soft boil ⅓ cup champagne vinegar, ¼ cup sherry vinegar (you can use ACP, white wine, or any other vinegar you have), ¼ cup water, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, ½ teaspoon sea salt. Cook for a minute or two until the salt is dissolved. Pour the hot liquid over the onions. Pickle for 30 mins or until cooled. Store in the fridge for 2 weeks.
Halloumi cooking tip: As you place each slice down, press it down, and move it around in little circles so the oils get released and it doesn't stick. The cheese is oily enough so it doesn’t need any additional cooking oil. Do not touch the halloumi for 2 minutes at least until you’re ready to flip.
Storing: This sandwich is best eaten within 2-3 hours. If you need to store it for longer, store all the ingredients separately in the fridge.
The nutritional information is just an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information is not guaranteed. (Counted without the bread)
Keywords: halloumi, hummus, sandwich
Sometimes all you want is a great sandwich for dinner. Move over grilled cheese, this halloumi sandwich needs a try. I would love to sink my teeth into this tonight.
The moment I saw these photos, it made me crave! This Halloumi Sandwich looks absolutely scrumptious.
When I'm craving some sandwiches, this would be my go-to. The sandwiches were just so good, my family and I loved it! Looks like I need to save this for later!
Sandwiches are my favorite! Thanks for this recipe! it really looks amazing and delicious!
This sandwich is my new favorite lunch! You cannot beat the layers of roasted vegetables, halloumi cheese, and creamy hummus.
Perfect for eating a healthy sandwich. I'd pack this sandwich for a picnic or when taking a flight. You need to take time to enjoy it.
I love everything about this sandwich, the flavors are beautiful, and it looks so good! We made a couple of them last night for a late dinner, and they were delicious—healthy, feel-good food. I will make it again. Thanks so much!
I love this sandwich! So much flavor and so much texture! This is the best ways to eat your veggies!
I am SO READY to make this sandwich and use throughout the week - it looks absolutely fantastic and uses my favorite ingredients!
I'm always looking for new lunch ideas so will be adding this sandwich to my menu this week. Thanks for sharing!