This Heirloom Tomato Grilled Cheese is the ultimate summer grilled cheese made with fresh juicy heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil. A Caprese Salad in the form of a grilled cheese sandwich!
Why This Sandwich is Perfect for the Summer
Tomatoes taste the best when they're in the season which in most cases is from late spring to early fall. Nothing beats juicy heirloom tomatoes which are perfect for this sandwich!
This sandwich is indulgent and filling but the fresh basil and tomatoes keep it fresh and seasonal. If grilled cheese and Caprese salad had a baby, it would be this sandwich!
It's one of my favorite recipes to make this time of the year! It requires minimal effort and only a handful of ingredients.
If you're craving even more grilled cheese, try this Goat Grilled Cheese with Pear and Sage! It's perfect for fall and winter!
How to Make the Best Tomato Grilled Cheese
The most important thing to remember is the better the ingredients the better the sandwich. You only have a handful of ingredients, each one playing an important part, and so the better each taste on their own, the better the result!
- I recommend using sourdough bread whenever you can. It makes world of difference.
- Fresh seasonal heirloom tomatoes work the best in this recipe. If you're not able to get those, Roma tomatoes, San Marzano, or regular vine or bush tomatoes work just as well.
- Choose your favorite good cheese. The easier it melts the better! My favorites are always goat or sheep cheeses which don't melt as well as cow's milk cheeses. I recommend goat/sheep mozzarella here or my new favorite sheep Kashkaval cheese (also called Kasseri in Greece). They melt beautifully!
- Use fresh herbs if possible. The fresh basil gives this grilled cheese so much flavor. Nothing beats fresh herbs, especially during the spring and summer months. Dried basil can also be used if needed, though!
What to serve it with
A big bowl of tomato soup is the obvious choice here but if you want to make this a lighter meal, try it with some of my favorite salads!
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Greek Potato Salad with Feta
- Charred Corn and Zucchini Salad with Pecorino
Serving and Storing Tips
These sandwiches are best served right away while they're still warm and the cheese is still melted so I recommend making them right before eating.
If you do need to store them, I recommend using a plate covered with tinfoil to keep them warm. You can also use any kind of food container to store them for longer than an hour. Keep them in the fridge if storing for more than 3-4 hours.Print
Heirloom Tomato Grilled Cheese with Fresh Basil
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Delicious tomato grilled cheese, perfect for the summer months.
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp butter (vegan or regular)
- 1 cup shredded sheep or goat mozzarella (or regular)
- 1-2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Start by spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place it on a plate buttered side down. Divide the cheese between two slices (leave a little for later).
- Add 2-3 tomato slices and the fresh basil on top of the cheese, and season with black pepper.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese and top each slice with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add one sandwich and cook for 2-3 minutes. Carefully flip and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side or until golden brown.
- Repeat with the other sandwich and serve immediately.
If you don't plan to eat the sandwiches right away, I recommend assembling them completely and cooking right before eating.
The nutritional information is just an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Keywords: tomato, summer, grilled cheese
This looks so yummy and refreshing, I am definitely going to try!
Now that's what I call a grilled cheese sandwich! That is extra fancy, and I can't wait to give it a try.
I don't think I've ever seen a grilled cheese sandwich quite that amazing looking. I love the flavors and that rustic vibe. I'll be making this for sure.
Dominique Walton Brooks
Yum! We have been eating more grilled cheese sandwiches this spring. I will have to add this recipe to the rotation!
That looks absolutely amazing! I would love to pair it with a homemade tomato soup.
I don't like tomatoes that much, but I do like them with grilled cheese! And a bowl of tomato soup and you're set!
Oh my goodness, you have me drooling over this recipe! I'm a big fan of grilled cheese and anything tomato, basil, mozzarella. I might need to whip this up this weekend.
I'm adding these ingredients to my shopping list. This looks fantastic!
I love grilled cheese sandwich but never thought of them with tomatoes. Would like to try this one out.
Heirloom Tomato Grilled Cheese looks so yummy! It sounds so easy to do too! I hope I can gather the ingredients (and don't forget the basil on top!).
This recipe does absolutely look delicious. Will definitely try it with the kids.
Looks gorgeous! Definitely going on my list of snacks to make late at night.
That looks absolutely amazing and so yummy.Thanks for sharing with us
All of your pictures are so beautiful, they make me salivate, it looks so good.
Thank toy for sharing this recipe.
The recipe looks good! Perfect comfort food.
I was literally just thinking that I needed a grilled cheese in my life this week but I wasn't sure how to make it more seasonally appropriate. Thanks so much for sharing. Added to my dinner list this week.
Looks amazing! This is something I eat for lunch very regularly during tomato season. I also love it with a fried egg!
Hmmm yum! I am sooo excited to make this! Chees is everything. Your Heirloom Tomato Grilled Cheese sounds really delicious.
Looks and sounds stunning.
Oh my, that sandwich looks so good! Crispy and full of cheese and flavor. I MUST make this for lunch tomorrow. I will save this recipe and give it a try. Thanks!
You can't go wrong with such a delicious looking grilled cheese sandwich in 20 minutes! My family will love this. We've been having a lot of grilled cheese being suck at home during COVID! Thanks for this great recipe.
All my favorite ingredients tomatoes, cheese and basil in one recipe. Can't wait to make this grilled Sandwich. Thanks for sharing
Simple and delicious - I would say it is perfect! Fantastic recipe that has saved me so many times!
This was so good and perfectly cheesy for this cheese lover! The fresh basil really made it something special. Will definitely make again throughout the summer!
Enriqueta E Lemoine
I'm a tomato lover and this was love at first sight and bite! This grilled sandwich turned to be like a Caprese grilled panini. I cannot wait to make it again and again.
I can't wait until my tomatoes are ready to pick so I can make this sandwich! I love the simple ingredients list and how all the flavors complement one another!
Gotta love using fresh seasonal ingredients for grilled cheese sandwiches. Plus, I like the fact you used goat cheese. That is an addictive yummy combo!
Mama Maggie's Kitchen
My mouth is literally watering. My family would love this.. I will surely make this today,
This is a perfect summer dish. And what an easy recipe to follow! I might try this tonight.
I will take a grilled cheese sandwich any day of the week. This one looks so yummy and perfect for summer!