This Leek and Zucchini Egg Skillet is honestly the perfect savory breakfast. Leek and zucchini sauteed with thyme, rosemary, and tamari sauce, and a sunny side up egg. This breakfast skillet is incredibly simple and ready in about 20 minutes. Perfect with avocado toast!
I've always preferred sweet breakfasts over savory but lately, I've been really into making breakfast skillets. I love a good bowl of oatmeal but every few days I really enjoy a big savory breakfast.
A couple of weeks ago I posted my first breakfast skillet recipe. This Bell Pepper and Zucchini Breakfast Skillet. Definitely check it out if you haven't yet, it's one of my favorites! Both these recipes are pretty similar but today's recipe is a bit more simple and lighter. The bell pepper skillet has sundried tomatoes and cheddar cheese and this egg skillet is just zucchini, leek, and eggs. So simple yet so good.
How to make this Leek and Zucchini Egg Skillet:
This recipe is really easy to make. First, you sautee the leek for a couple of minutes on a splash of avocado oil, add the zucchini, thyme, rosemary, and tamari, and cook covered for about 10 minutes. When the zucchini has softened, crack the eggs straight into the pan, one at a time, and season with some salt and pepper. This recipe is very forgiving, I've made this several times in the past month and I never measure any of the ingredients. All you need is ½-1 leek, 1-2 zucchinis (depending on how big each is), some rosemary and thyme, a splash of tamari, and a couple of eggs. I also added a sprinkle of pecorino cheese on top but that's optional.
I'm obsessed with this recipe and I know you will be too. If you try it, let me know how it was! xoPrint
Delicious healthy vegetarian breakfast that's ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 leek (white and light green part only)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 large eggs
- Sea salt, pepper
- Start by preparing the vegetables. Cut the leek in half lengthwise and then slice into thin half-moons. Cut both ends off the zucchini and dice it into small bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat, add the avocado oil and the chopped leek and cook for about 2 minutes or until it breaks down and becomes glossy. It’s okay if there are a few brown bits. Add the garlic and quickly stir. Add the chopped zucchini, tamari sauce, rosemary, and thyme. Add a splash of water if needed to deglaze the pan.
- Cook covered on medium heat for about 10 minutes until the zucchini softens.
- Make little spaces for the eggs on the pan and crack the eggs into them. Season with sea salt and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes (more or less based on your preference). Cover the pan with a lid for the last 5 minutes to make sure the egg whites are cooked through.
- Best enjoyed immediately. Serve with toasted bread and hummus, or guacamole.
This recipe can easily be doubled to feed more people, just use a bigger pan or multiple pans as it's best if the pan isn't too crowded.
If you don't have a leek, you can add onion or scallions instead.
The nutritional info below is calculated with 2 eggs.
Keywords: leek, zucchini, eggs, skillet