Delicious light and crispy vegetarian appetizer. Inspired by the Greek Spanakopita triangles.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or sub your favorite neutral cooking oil)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (approx. 1/2 cup chopped)
- a pinch sea salt
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 140 g (5 oz) raw baby spinach, chopped (I used 1 whole box)
- 150 g (5.3 oz) feta cheese
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 sheets of puff pastry (approx. 10x10" each)
- 1/4 cup Everything Bagel Seasoning (or sub sesame seeds)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and prepare 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and a small pinch of sea salt, turn the heat down to medium and sauté for about 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute just until it's fragrant.
- Add the spinach, stir and move it around until it wilts down. It's ok to work in batches if it doesn't fit all at once.
- Cool completely.
- Crumble the feta well into a bowl, add the spinach, and 1 beaten egg, and mix. Set aside.
- Make an egg wash by whisking together the remaining egg and 1 tbsp of water with a fork. Set aside.
- Roll out your puff pastry on a flat floured surface if needed and cut into squares. You should have 15-18 squares depending on the size of your puff pastry sheets.
- To make the triangle, brush all sides with the egg wash, add 1 tbsp of the filling in the middle and fold one corner to the opposite one to form a triangle.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Press on the edges to close it. Use a fork to make sure the sides are closed and to create a nice pattern. It's ok if it's not perfect.
- Brush with more egg wash and sprinkle with some Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Chill the triangles on the baking sheet before baking (optional).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool down on the baking sheet for 5 mins. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. See notes for freezing instructions.
Use fresh spinach instead of frozen here. Frozen spinach releases too much liquid.
After you stuff the triangles, you can let them chill in the fridge for a few minutes before baking. This may help them rise.
Freezing: Freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet or a plate. Stack only when fully frozen with a piece of parchment paper between each layer to prevent sticking. To reheat them, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and bake for 10 mins until warmed throughout.
Keywords: feta, spinach, puff pastry, appetizer