Simple tomato sauce with shiitake mushroom. This is my go-to tomato sauce now, and way better than any store-bought tomato sauce I've ever tried!
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or other high-heat cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- approx. 20 shiitake mushroom, wiped with a damp paper towel, ends of stems removed, and sliced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning blend**
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 420 ml crushed tomatoes (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional*)
- sea salt & pepper
- 250g brown rice spaghetti (enough for 2-4 people)
Add-ins to make the meal more filling: cooked chickpeas, haricot beans, butter beans, green lentils
Tomato Sauce with Shiitake Mushroom
- In a big pan, heat up the avocado oil, and saute the chopped onion for a few minutes until translucent but not brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes until fragrant.
- Add chopped shiitake, dried herbs, stir to combine, add a splash of water to glaze the pan, and cook covered for about 10 mins. Add more water as necessary. Shiitake don't release much water so I added quite a lot to prevent sticking.
- Add the tomato paste, more water, and cook covered for about 5 more mins.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and tomato sauce, and stir to combine.
- Bring back to a soft boil over low-medium heat while you cook the pasta. Keep the heat on low to prevent burning.
- Cook the spaghetti following the instructions on the package. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water before draining. Drain and rise the pasta and add it to the sauce. Mix using two spatulas or tongs, and serve immediately after the pasta is heated up throughout.
- Optional: top with grated parmesan, goat cheese, or nutritional yeast.
- Keeps in the fridge in an airtight container for 2 days.
* I use balsamic vinegar here to enhance the flavor. You don't really taste it but it's that something that just gives it a boost in flavor and brings it all together.
**I used Simply Organic Italian seasoning blend which I highly recommend but you can make your own blend with dried herbs: 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp marjoram, 1/4 tsp rosemary, 1/4 tsp thyme, and 1/4 tsp basil
Keywords: tomato sauce, pasta, shiitake, spaghetti