These Zucchini Rolls are made with spicy roasted zucchini slices filled with creamy guacamole. You can serve these as an appetizer or a side.
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 zucchinis (the straighter the better)
- Cooking oil spray (I used avocado oil)
- 1 cup guacamole (see notes for homemade guacamole)
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Prepare a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix together the oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili flakes, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Cut of both end of the zucchinis. Cut them into thin slices of about ¼ inch. If they’re too thin they will burn in the oven but if they’re too thick they will be harder to roll. I get 3-4 slices per a zucchini.
- Lay the zucchini slices on your prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking oil spray on both sides. Sprinkle evenly with the spice mix on both sides.
- Roast the zucchini for 15 minutes, carefully flip and roast for 5 more minutes.
- Allow the zucchini to cool for a few minutes before filling with the guacamole.
- Spread about a tablespoon of guacamole on each slice of zucchini and roll up. Secure with a toothpick to make sure they stay intact. The zucchini softens with roasting so they’re a little tricky to move around after they’re filled.
- Serve and enjoy!
Storing: These rolls are best eaten right away. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days if necessary. They will be safe to eat but guacamole usually turns brown if it sits for too long and the zucchini eventually releases water if it sits longer.
Substitutions: Use cucumber in place of the zucchini if desired but you a mandolin to prevent it from snapping when rolling the cucumber up into rolls. You can also use hummus or another thick dip instead of guacamole.
Homemade guacamole: 2 avocados, juice of 1-2 limes, 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, 1/2 jalapeno (seeds removed, finely chopped), 1/2 white onion, finely chopped, sea salt and pepper to taste, 1 Roma tomato (seeds removed, finely chopped, optional). Mash everything together using a fork or a potato masher. Add more lime juice to taste if desired.
Keywords: roasted, zucchini rolls