This roasted red bell pepper pasta is healthy, vegan & GF alternative to regular pasta, yet even an obstinate mac & cheese lover would savor this! YUM! Don't worry about the bell peppers being too black. After you take them out of the oven, you peel the burned skin and you'll be left with only the delicious grilled smoky taste!
- 5 red bell peppers
- olive or other oil for roasting
- 1 tsp ghee (substitute with olive, avocado or coconut oil if vegan)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bunches of brown rice pasta (or other gluten-free pasta of choice)
- 1 tbsp (heaping) fresh oregano leaves + more for decoration (or 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- squeeze of lemon
- red chilli flakes to taste (I added 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs italian seasoning (parsley, oregano, onion, basil)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat your oven broiler to medium heat. (If you don't have a broiler, preheat to 205C/450F)
- Wash the bell peppers and onion and peel the garlic cloves.
- Cut off the stem of the bell peppers and seed them.
- Place bell peppers on a baking tray and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.
- Place them into the oven and grill for 10-15 minutes. (Skin side up)
- Flip them and grill for another 5-10 minutes. Flip them again and grill for additional 5 minutes.
- Keep a close eye on them because they can burn REALLY FAST. The cooking time depends on the strenght of your oven. They're done when they start to have black patches. (See picture above)
- While the bell peppers are grilling, heat up the ghee in a small pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic.
- Sautee them for a few minutes until the garlic becomes fragrant and the onion starts to get brown at the edges a little.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- When the bell peppers are done, take them out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta acording to package instructions.
- When the bell peppers are somewhat cooled down, peel some of the black patches.
- Add 4 of them into a blender along with the sauteed onion and garlic, the fresh oregano leaves, coconut milk, water, olive oil, lemon, red chilli flakes, and the dried herbs.
- Mix until smooth, taste and add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the sauce into a big pan over medium high heat. Add the pasta and mix so it's well coated.
- Cut up the bell pepper you set aside and the cherry tomatoes for topping.
- Plate the pasta and top with the cherry tomatoes, the cut up bell pepper and a few oregano leaves.