This Iced Matcha Chai Latte is my favorite drink to order when I'm trying to avoid coffee. It's really good, easy to make, and sweetened with homemade Chai syrup!
- 15 cardamom pods (4g)
- 1 cinnamon stick (6g)
- 20 whole cloves
- ½-1 tsp whole black peppercorns (25 peppercorns)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds (40 seeds)
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced or chopped (see notes on how to peel)
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ oz vodka (optional as a preservative)
Chai Matcha Latte
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- ½ cup almond milk
- Ice cubes
- 1-2 tbsp chai syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- Crush the cardamom pods slightly and add them to a baking sheet along with the cinnamon stick, whole cloves, black peppercorns, fennel seeds, and coriander seeds to a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes (they should be very fragrant).
- Add the toasted spices to a medium pot with the water, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, lower the heat slightly and simmer for 10-15 minutes. The longer you simmer the syrup, the stronger the flavors will be.Towards the end of cooking, stir in the vanilla.
- Strain the syrup into a very clean jar, stir in the vodka if using and let cool before closing with a lid and storing in the fridge.
Chai Matcha Latte
- Add the water to a small pot and warm-up, do not boil it, the best is 60-70C but I don’t measure it. This is optional but I find the matcha blends easier when the water is hot.
- Use a matcha whisk or a handheld milk frother to whisk the matcha into the water in a bowl or a mug. Set aside.
- Add the almond milk to a tall glass and use a handheld frother to froth the milk. Fill the glass with ice ¾ way up. Add the chai syrup and slowly pour in the warm matcha.
- Use a glass straw to mix it all together and to cool down the drink. Enjoy!
Storing: Store the syrup in the fridge in an airtight glass jar. It should last about two weeks without the vodka but I like to add the alcohol to extend its shelf life and make sure it doesn’t go bad before I use it all. The matcha latte itself doesn’t store well and is best made right before serving.
Keywords: matcha latte, chai syrup