Delicious creamy vegan Nutella-like spread made with coconut sugar.
- 3 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1/4-1/2 cup coconut sugar*
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder (or sub cocoa powder)
- Preheat your oven to 175C/350F.
- Spread the raw hazelnuts on a large baking sheet.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden and the skin comes off of the hazelnuts easily. Cool completely.
- Rub the hazelnuts with your hands or using a paper towel to remove most of the skins off the hazelnuts. It's fine if you can't get all of them.
- Add the hazelnuts into the food processor or a high-speed blender** and blend for a few minutes until you get a smooth creamy spread. You might have to scrape the sides of your food processor or use the stick to push the nuts down to the blades of your blender to help it blend.
- Add the coconut sugar (start with 1/4 cup and add more later if needed), sea salt, and cacao powder, and process until smooth.
- Taste and add more cacao or sugar to taste.
- Pour into a glass jar and store in the fridge. Wait for the spread to cool down before closing the jar and placing it in the fridge.
- It will last for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.
* If you don't have coconut sugar, you can use date sugar, maple sugar, or regular cane sugar. Any dry sweetener works but do not add liquid sweeteners. They will make the spread too thick and sticky.
** Do not use a Nutribullet or any other upside down blender, it won't work. You need to be able to push it down to the blades or scrape the sides.
The spread will heat up as you blend it and that's ok, just wait for it to cool down before storing it in the fridge.
Keywords: nutella, spread, hazelnut, vegan