Delicious zesty vegan oatmeal recipe. I absolutely LOVE this one! It's easy, healthy, and really tasty!
- 1 cup grated carrot, tightly packed (2-3 carrots)*
- 1 cup grated apple (1-2 apples)*
- 2 cups plant-based milk (almond, oat, rice, cashew, coconut)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 heaping tsp lemon zest (from an organic lemon, add less if you don't want it too zesty)
- 2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 cup oats
- 3 tbsp walnuts (plus more for toppings if desired)
- 2 tbsp raisins (again, more for toppings if you want)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey if not vegan (or to taste)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Place the grated carrots, apples, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla powder into a medium-sized pot, mix and bring to a boil.
- When almost boiling, stir in the oats, walnuts, and raisins. Stir well so there aren't any clumps. Lower the heat and cook on low-medium heat for 10 minutes or until creamy. Stir every few minutes and if it starts sticking to the bottom, add more milk.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the maple syrup. Add the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice, and mix well.
- Serve immediately topped with berries, nut butter, banana, seeds, nuts, raisins, or anything else your heart desires.
* I used a box grater to grate the carrots and apples. Grate the carrots into thinner pieces than the apples since they're harder and would need more time to cook.