Delicious creamy zesty chocolatey oatmeal. The ultimate comfort food!
- 1 tsp orange zest (from organic very well washed oranges)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 1 cup almond milk or other plant-based milk (plus more if needed)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (or vanilla extract)
- 2-3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- possible toppings: berries, kiwi, hazelnut or almond butter, cacao nibs, goji berries, nuts, seeds, etc.
- Put the orange zest, orange juice, and almond milk into a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil over high heat. When almost boiling, stir in the oats, lower the heat and cook on low/medium until thick and creamy (about 10 minutes) and add more milk if it starts sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn off the heat, add the maple syrup, vanilla powder, cacao powder, cinnamon and mix well.
- Taste and add more sweetener or cacao as desired.
- Serve topped with berries, nut butter, or other toppings of choice.