Cheesy Popcorn with no cheese?! The secret is nutritional yeast! It gives it the cheesy, nutty, salty taste simillar to cheese! It's really delicious and semi-healthy. I you want to make a bigger batch of this you can just double or triple the recipe. However I recommend always doing 1/4 cup of corn kernels at a time because if you did a more at once, it would take longer you could burn the popcorn.
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (for color)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your preference)
- 1/4 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- sea salt to taste (1/4-1/2 tsp)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- First start with the spices.
- Into a small bowl add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic, onion, and sea salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat a big pot with the coconut oil over high heat. have a lid for the pot prepared.
- When the pot seems hot enough, add 2-3 corn kernels and cover with a lid. Shake the pot a little and wait for all 3 to pop. When they do, remove the lid (carefully, there's A LOT of steam!) and remove the kernels with a spoon.
- Add the rest of the kernels and cover with a lid.
- Keep the heat on high and shake the pot holding the lid so there's no steam escaping. (use oven gloves, because again, everything is very hot)
- When it starts popping, which should be immediately,, shake the pot every 3-5 seconds so the popcorn doesn't burn.
- When there are 5 second gaps between popping, remove from heat immediatelly.
- Don't try to pop each and every kernel or you'll burn the popcorn.
- Carefully remove the lid and transfer the popcorn into a big bowl. Add the seasoning and mix quickly and well so the popcorn is evenly coated. If the seasoning doesn't stick, you can add 1tsp melted coconut oil and mix again.
- Best served immediatelly.