- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 cup apple puree
- 1/2 cup almond or other plant milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp almond butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- 2 apples, grated (makes 1 cup packed when shredded)
- Start by preheating your oven to 350F (175C).
- In a big bowl mix all your dry ingredients (buckwheat flour, almond flour, tapioca flour, oat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 tsp sea salt, apple pie spice, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla)
- Add all the liquid ingredients (apple puree, almond milk, maple syrup, and almond butter. Mix with a spatula or a whisk until completely combined with no lumps. Mix in the shredded apples and set aside.
- Grease a round cake form with a little bit of coconut oil and dust with a bit of buckwheat flour to until lightly covered. Pour in the batter, flatten, and bake for 50-55 minutes. Let it cool down completely or at least for 20 mins before removing from the pan so it doesn't break. Set aside while you make the filling.
- Add the soaked cashews into a food processor and process until there are no visible cashew pieces. Add the lucuma, mesquite, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt and process to combine.
- Add the maple syrup and almond milk and mix again.
- Add the cacao (all at once or a little by little) and process until well combined. You might need to scrape the sides down to help it mix.
- When the cake's cooled down, slice it in the middle, carefully remove the top layer, spread about 1/2-2/3 of the frosting, and cover with banana slices. Cover with the top layer of the cake carefully. If you add less filling inside, you can use the rest to decorate the top of the cake using a piping bag (I didn't have one but the filling holds up pretty well for this).
immediatellyor refrigerate until ready to eat. Keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days.