These zucchini fritters are great served with a dip as an appetizer, a side, or a savory snack.
- 1 kg zucchini (9 small zucchinis, 7 cups grated)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 large eggs
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion (1 small red onion)
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, divided (or other cooking oil, I use oil in a spray bottle)
- Optional add-ins: crumbled feta cheese, shredded halloumi cheese, finely chopped leek/yellow onion/spring onion instead of red onion
- Optional toppings: labneh, sour cream, greek yogurt, quick pickled red onion
- Start by grating the zucchini on the largest piece's side of your box grater. You can peel the zucchini if you desire but I leave the peel on when organic.
- Transfer the grated zucchini into a large bowl and sprinkle it with sea salt all over and toss with your hands. Let the zucchini sit in the salt for 10-15 mins.
- Meanwhile whisk the eggs in a small bowl with the minced cloves of garlic, dried marjoram, and dried oregano. Set aside.
- Using another large bowl and a mesh strainer or your hands, squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the zucchini. This will prevent the fritters from being soggy.
- In a large bowl, add the zucchini, the chopped red onion, the whisked egg mixture, chickpea flour, and baking powder.
- Heat a teaspoon or so of avocado oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot, lower the heat to medium and spoon in 2-3 tbsp of the batter for each fritter. Don’t overcrowd your pan so you have space to flip them. Cook for 2-3 mins on one side, flip, and cook for 2-3 mins on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve immediately seasoned with salt and pepper and topped with sour cream or labneh if desired, and quick pickled red onions.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- I recommend to use large shallow pan to make it easier to flip the fritters. If you use a nonstick pan you may be able to use less oil.
- To keep the fritters hot, lay them on a baking sheet in a single layer and keep them in a warm oven until you finish cooking the rest and are ready to eat. I like to set the oven to 200F (100C).
Keywords: zucchini, fritters