This sandwich is really easy to make and super versatile. Keep it simple with just cucumber and lettuce or add more veggies!
- 1 can of tuna in water, drained
- 100g soft goat cheese (or cream cheese)
- 2 tbsp capers + 1 tbsp of the liquid (chopped if large)
- 1 shallot or ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp chili garlic sauce (sub crushed red pepper flakes or hot sauce)
- 1-2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 4-8 slices of bread (4 for two large sandwiches, 8 for when you’re adding more to the sandwich)
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced
Optional sandwich add-ons: lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, dijon mustard, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers
- Prep your bread slices and set aside. You can toast them right before serving if desired.
- Into a large bowl, add the tuna, soft goat cheese, capers, chopped shallot, olive oil, sea salt, pepper, chili garlic sauce, and fresh chives. Use a fork to break up the tuna and mix everything together well.
- Taste and add more salt, pepper, or more of the tangy liquid from the capers.
- When ready to serve, toast your bread if desired and load up with tuna spread. I like dividing the spread between only two sandwiches, or more if I’m adding additional ingredients to each sandwich.
- Add sliced cucumber to the sandwich and any other toppings you like and top with the other slice. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
If you don’t have capers, you can use lemon juice to instead.
If you don’t like to have a dry slice of bread in your sandwich, add some of the spread on each slice and the cucumber slices in the middle.
Store any leftover spread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Keywords: cucumber, tuna sandwich, lunch