This shrimp salad is best served in a toasted brioche bun with shredded romaine lettuce or you can serve it in romaine boats for a healthy gluten-free option.
- 1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed (30-40 pieces per pound)
- 2-3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped (approx. ½ cup)
- 2 heaping tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (or more Greek yogurt, I used olive oil mayo as a healthier choice)
- 1-2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice (1 lemon)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 6 brioche buns or 8 large slices of bread (the salad serves 4-6)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
Frozen pre-cooked shrimp: Defrost the shrimp in the fridge overnight and wash, and dry them before chopping.
Frozen raw shrimp: Defrost the shrimp in the fridge overnight. To blanch them, add them to boiling water with salt and cook for 2-3 minutes until they turn pink and opaque. Transfer them to an ice bath to cool and dry them.
- Remove the shrimp tails and roughly chop the cooked shrimp. Add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped celery, red onion, capers, and dill to the bowl. Toss to combine.
- Add the greek yogurt, mayonnaise (or more yogurt), dijon mustard, lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper to the bowl.
- Mix everything together until well combined. Taste and add more salt, pepper, dijon, or yogurt to taste.
- Store the shrimp salad covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Make the sandwich: Preheat your oven to 350F (175C). Slice the brioche buns in half and toast them in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. If you’re using bread, you can toast it in a toaster. I use the oven for brioche buns because they don’t fit into my toaster.
- Add the shrimp salad to the toasted brioche or bread, top with the shredded romaine, and the other half of the brioche or bread. Enjoy immediately and store any salad leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.
If you want to serve the shrimp salad without any bread, you can either serve it on a bed of lettuce or, my personal favorite, in romaine lettuce boats. Wash the lettuce leaves and fill them up with the salad as you would tacos. Enjoy!
Storing: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Keywords: shrimp salad, sandwich