Delicious caramelized eggplant roasted with miso, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and spices. Serve with rice and toasted sesame seeds (GF, V)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (or more toasted sesame oil)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 Tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2-1 Tsp chili garlic sauce (or to taste, it will be spicier after it cooks)
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp dried parsley
- Black pepper to taste
- 3-4 eggplants (about 10-12 cups when diced)
- a small bunch of parsley, finely chopped (you need about ½ cup chopped, divided)
- 2 tbsp unhulled sesame seeds
- Hummus (optional, for serving)
- 1 cup dry basmati rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- Small pinch sea salt
- 1 Tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp of the fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Start by making the marinade. Mix the toasted sesame oil, regular sesame oil, maple syrup, tamari, miso paste, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce, garlic powder, dried parsley, and black pepper in a small bowl or a mason jar and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Cut off both ends of the eggplants and dice them a little bigger than bite-size, about ½” thick (they’ll cook down).
- Transfer them to a baking dish (I used two to space them out ) and drizzle evenly with the marinade.
- Toss everything to coat evenly.
- Roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes depending on how big or small you diced the eggplant. Toss once or twice throughout roasting.
- To toast the sesame seeds, heat a pan over high heat, when it’s hot add the sesame seeds and toast for a few minutes until golden and fragrant making sure they don’t burn (they shouldn’t be smoking). Set aside until ready to plate.
- Cooking the rice: Thoroughly rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan, stir, and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, lower the heat, and cook for 7-10 mins. Take off heat, remove the lid, fluff the rice, add the toasted sesame oil and parsley and cover back up. Let it rest for 5-10 mins and serve.
- Serve the eggplant with the rice, a sprinkle of the toasted sesame seeds, and the rest of the fresh parsley.
Great served with rice, quinoa, mashed potatoes, or even rice noodles. Also perfect as a side.
Keywords: garlic, miso, roasted, eggplant