These carrots are roasted until they're soft and caramelized and served with creamy labneh and crunchy flavorful pistachio dukkah.
- 1 tbsp harissa paste (I use mild)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼| tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 8 young carrots (not the dry large thick carrots you buy in the winter, see notes)
- ½ cup water + more as needed
- ½ cup Labneh
- 2-3 tbsp Pistachio Dukkah
Preheat your oven to 400°F(200°F).
- In a small bowl, mix together the harissa paste, maple syrup, avocado oil, lemon juice, ground coriander, ground cumin, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Remove the green carrot tops, keep 1-2 inches (2.5-5 cm) attached to the carrots if desired for presentation.
- Peel your carrots (optional).
- Add the carrots to a deep baking dish that comfortably fits them.
- Drizzle the harissa sauce over the carrots and toss them using two spoons to cover evenly with the sauce.
- Pour ½ cup of water around the carrots. Don’t pour it right on them.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes or until soft. Toss to flip the carrots 1-2 times throughout roasting. Add a splash of water if it gets dry.
- Spread the Labneh on a serving dish, lay the roasted carrots on top, drizzle with some of the sauce left in the baking dish, and sprinkle with dukkah.
- Serve immediately.
This dish will be as spicy as the harissa you use. If you want to make it even spicier, add 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper.
Imperator carrots are the best for this. I use baby carrots or young carrots. Not to be confused with the little “baby carrots” you buy at a grocery store. Those are just big carrots cut into small shapes. Look for young carrots with green tops you would normally buy at the farmer’s market in the summer. They’re sweeter than the dry large carrots you buy at the grocery store.
If you’re not serving the carrots right away, keep them separate from the labneh, and dukkah. They will keep well in the fridge for 2-3 days.
The nutritional information is just an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information is not guaranteed. (counted without the labneh and dukkah)
Keywords: carrots, harissa, labneh, dukkah