Delicious vegan soup made with frozen peas, blended into a smooth cream with vegetable stock and cashew milk.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt (plus more for seasoning)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 750g (26.5oz) frozen sweet green peas
- 1 tbsp EACH fresh mint, fresh dill, and fresh parsley
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½-1 cup cashew milk
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste (¼ -½ tsp)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- For serving: sour cream, creme fraiche, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper
- Heat up a large pot over medium-high heat, add the oil, chopped onion, and salt. Saute on medium for 5-10 minutes. You want the onion to be translucent and soft, and with some brown bits starting to caramelize.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Carefully deglaze the pan with a splash of the vegetable stock to release anything that’s stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the rest of the stock and the frozen peas. Bring it all back to a boil, you can cover the pot with a lid to speed this up, and cook for 5 minutes. The peas should be bright green, if they’re a little wrinkly, they’re just a little overcooked but that’s ok.
- Stir in fresh mint, dill, and parsley.
- Use an immersion blender to blend everything together until smooth. You can also use a regular blender but be very careful, see notes for more details.
- Add lemon juice, ½ cup cashew milk, freshly ground black pepper, and chili flakes if using. Add more cashew milk as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice to taste and serve hot with a spoonful of sour cream or creme fraiche.
Blending soup in a blender: Be very careful when using a blender as hot liquid could blow the lid off due to pressure from the steam. Only use a blender that allows you to leave it slightly ajar. I like removing the small lid in the middle of the big one and just holding it above the spot it would normally be so the steam has space to escape but the soup doesn’t splatter.
Keywords: sweet peas, green peas, soup