Delicious apple butter waffles - the perfect breakfast for fall or winter! Serve with fresh or stewed apples and maple syrup.
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour*
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp fine sea salt
- 1 Tsp Apple pie spice
- 1 Tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup apple butter (sub applesauce if you don’t have apple butter)
- 2/3 apple cider
- 2 tbsp melted butter (or oil)
- Avocado oil for cooking
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, fine sea salt, apple pie spice, cinnamon, and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs, add the apple butter, apple cider and stir to combine. If the mixture is too cold, save the butter and whisk it into the batter at the very end. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mix and whisk until combined. Don’t over whisk. Lastly, pour in the butter if you didn’t add it to the wet mix, and quickly whisk.
- Heat up the waffle iron. Spray with a little bit of avocado oil or use a brush if you don’t have a spray. Pour in about half the batter (or enough to cover about ¾ of your waffle iron, this depends on how big it is) and cook for 2-3 minutes or follow the waffle iron instructions.
- Serve with apples, maple syrup, yogurt, or berries. Enjoy!
*If you don’t have a gluten-free flour mix, my favorite flours to mix here are chickpea, brown rice, and tapioca. Use ½ cup brown rice flour, ¼ cup chickpea flour, and ¼ cup tapioca flour.
Keywords: waffles, apple butter, breakfast