Delicious gingerbread porridge. Perfect for a cold winter morning.
- 1/2 cup raw coconut flakes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk (if you're doing canned coconut milk, do 1 cup milk, 1 1/2 cup water)*
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground anise
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or sub extract, optional)
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- a small handful dates, pitted and chopped (for topping)
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F).
- Spread the coconut flakes on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for a few minutes (5-12) until they start to brown. Be sure not to burn them.
- Wash and drain the quinoa and cook it in the milk for about 10-15 until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Near the end of cooking add the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Take off heat and add all the spices, cacao, and maple syrup. Add more of anything if you wish.
- Enjoy immediately with the toasted coconut, chopped dates, fresh or dried figs, and a drizzle of coconut milk.
You can even use leftover quinoa for this and just heat it up, add coconut milk to make it creamy and serve!
The nutritional information is just an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Keywords: gingerbread, oatmeal, porridge, oats