Delicious creamy broccoli soup with crispy cheesy broccoli croutons.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 big head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- approx. 1L boiling water
- ¼ -½ cup almond milk (optional, add more or less based on how thick you want the soup to be)
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese*
- Into a big pot over high heat add the avocado oil, onion, and leek, and cook on medium-high stirring often for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook for 2-3 more minutes, add the potatoes, the broccoli, garlic, bay leaves, and the boiling water until it’s just covered (use a kettle to boil it or just add cold water and bring it to a boil). If there’s broccoli sticking out of the water that’s okay. Just add it on top to steam it, it’s going to break down and it’ll fit in the pot when the rest that's submerged cooks.
- Lower the heat to low-medium and cook covered for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Using a handheld blender, blend the soup until smooth or ladle it into a blender and blend on high (be very careful not to overfill it as it’s very hot and the steam could lift up the lid and explode)
- Stir in the almond milk - start with ¼ cup and add more until you reach your desired consistency. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Spread the broccoli florets on a baking sheet, drizzle with the avocado oil, season with sea salt and pepper, and sprinkle with garlic powder. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 10 minutes until slightly golden, toss, sprinkle with the pecorino cheese, and roast for about 5 more minutes until the cheese melts and the broccoli crisps up.
- Best enjoyed immediately. Serve on the cream of broccoli soup.
*If you’re grating the pecorino at home using a Microplane add double the amount. If you want to avoid cheese, sprinkle the broccoli with 2 tbsp nutritional yeast after you take it out of the oven.
The broccoli is best enjoyed immediately as it loses some of its crispiness if it sits out for a longer period of time.
Keywords: broccoli, soup, pecorino, gluten-free