A creamy vegan hot chocolate, perfect for the holidays! Full of warming winter spices.
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I like hazelnut but any milk is fine*)
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp Christmas Spice Blend (see notes for a substitute)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- A small pinch of sea salt
- ¼-½ cup water(optional, skip if you want the chocolate to be extra creamy)
- Vegan whipped cream (for serving, optional)
- Add the milk and the chocolate chips into a small pot over low heat. Stir constantly for a few minutes or until the chocolate melts. Make sure not to burn it.
- Add the cacao powder, Christmas spice blend, and maple syrup, a small pinch of sea salt, and water if desired, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Boil for a minute or two and remove from heat.
- Optional: Using a handheld milk frother, froth the hot chocolate.
- Pour into a mug, top with whipped cream if desired, and enjoy!
If you're using canned coconut milk, use 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 cup water so it's not too thick.
Christmas spice blend substitute (gingerbread): 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8-1/4 tsp ground allspice, 1/8-1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp nutmeg
I use a milk frother to make the hot chocolate frothy but it’s optional. It also helps blend all the ingredients together. I just dip the frother into the hot chocolate in the pot, turn it on and move it gently up and down but keeping it submerged. Check the instructions of your milk frother if you’re unsure how to use it properly.
Nutritional information is counted without whipped cream.
Keywords: hot chocolate, gingerbread, drink, holiday