This Chocolate Oatmeal is made with raw cacao and almond milk. It's extra creamy and sweetened with maple syrup. The perfect sweet breakfast for any season! Top it with caramelized bananas to make it taste like a dessert!
- 1 cup almond milk (plus more as needed)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 banana, sliced
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
Other toppings: fresh berries, nut butter, hemp seeds.
- Add almond milk and rolled oats to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer stirring often for 5-7 minutes or until creamy. Add more milk or water if needed.
- Stir in cacao powder, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Set aside until ready to serve.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, heat a medium pan over medium-high heat.
- Add butter to the pan and allow it to melt.
- Add maple syrup, banana slices, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Arrange the bananas in a single layer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Gently flip and cook for a couple of minutes on the other side until soft but not mushy. Lower the heat if it bubbles too vigorously.
- Plate the oatmeal and top with caramelized bananas, berries, or any other toppings. Enjoy!
I like cooking the bananas while the oats are cooking so that everything is ready at the same time. Oatmeal thickens as it cools so if you cook it too early, it will thicken up quite a bit. Simply add some water or milk to it and stir to make it creamy again.
Storing: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can eat the oats cold or reheat them in a saucepan with a splash of water or milk.
Keywords: chocolate oatmeal, caramelized banana