Delicious gluten-free fluffy but dense banana bread with caramelized sliced banana on top. Perfect for breakfast or a sweet snack!
- 2-4 bananas (divided - 1 cup mashed + 1 banana for garnish)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp plant-based milk (I used hazelnut)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (sub date sugar or brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp tapioca flour (arrowroot works great too)
- 1 cup brown rice flour (+ more for dusting the pan)
- 1/4 chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cold butter (vegan or regular)
- 2 tbsp raw cane turbinado sugar (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a big bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, avocado oil, plant-based milk, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, tapioca flour, brown rice flour, chickpea flour, cacao powder, and cinnamon.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Grease a loaf pan by rubbing it with butter on the inside. Dust it with the brown rice flour and shake around to get it evenly all over the pan and dust off any excess.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, carefully slice the remaining banana in half lengthwise and place it on the batter, cut side up. Press it gently into the batter so it’s all the same level.
- Sprinkle with the sugar if desired. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes. It’s done when the top is golden brown and crispy, the sides are not sticking to the pan and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes, then gently remove from the pan and cool completely before slicing to prevent the banana from falling off the top.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
If you don't have the flours I use on hand, substitute them for 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour mix (I like Bob's Red Mill)
The nutritional information for this recipe is just an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Keywords: banana, bread, loaf, breakfast, snack