Delicious make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings.
- ½ cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup plant-based milk (almond milk is the best here)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or your favorite sweetener of choice)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp fresh orange zest
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup regular or wild blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Optional add-ins: 1 tbsp chia seeds(add +/4 cup if adding), yogurt, peaches, mango, or strawberries, or mashed banana
- For serving: fresh berries, hemp seeds, nut butter, yogurt, slices of orange
- Add the rolled oats, cinnamon, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, orange zest, orange juice, and stir well.
- Add the blueberries and stir again.
- Cover with a lid and let soak in the fridge overnight.
- Serve cold topped with more berries, hemp seeds, and nut butter, or yogurt if desired. See notes for serving the oats warm.
If you’re using frozen blueberries, only use a scant 1 cup of milk because the frozen berries will release some liquid as they defrost.
If you’re going to warm up the overnight oats in the morning, I recommend skipping the chia seeds. They turn the oats into more of a pudding and they don't taste as good when warmed up.
The nutritional information is just an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Keywords: overnight, oatmeal, breakfast