Delicious egg, zucchini, and bell pepper breakfast skillet with Za'atar spice blend. Ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only (or sub for 1 finely diced yellow onion)*
- 1 zucchini (approx. 2 cups chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (approx. 1 cup chopped)
- 1/2-1 small jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp avocado oil (or any other high heat cooking oil)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp za’atar spice blend (plus more for eggs and garnish)**
- 3-4 eggs
- Sea salt and pepper
- a small handful sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 2-4 tbsp grated goat cheddar cheese (optional)
- Start by chopping all the ingredients. Cut the leek in half lengthwise, then again, and thinly slice. Same with the zucchini, cut it in half lengthwise, and then into 0.5” (1cm) strips and dice. Cut the bell pepper in half, remove the seeds, and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Heat up a big pan over high heat. Add the avocado oil and chopped leeks. Lower the heat to medium-high, and cook for 5-10 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic, the chopped zucchini, bell pepper, jalapeno (if using), tamari, and za’atar spice. Stir to combine and cover. Lower the heat to low-medium and cook for about 5-10 minutes. The vegetables should be soft but not mushy as they’re going to keep cooking with the eggs.
- Make 3-4 little nests for the eggs so they’re able to touch the pan a little and add them one by one to the pan. Season with sea salt and pepper, add the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, more za’atar if desired, and cover.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Sprinkle with the grated goat cheese for the last 2 minutes of cooking to allow it to melt.
- Serve immediately with more za’atar, toasted bread, hummus, or guacamole, and fresh chopped tomatoes. Enjoy!
This skillet can be adapted to whatever produce you have. If you don't have any leek, add red or yellow onion, or a shallot. Even spring onion is great here. I like using sweet Italian peppers here when I don't have bell peppers.
Optional add-ins or subs: mushroom, roasted eggplant, tomatoes, asparagus, steamed broccoli.
The nutritional info is calculated with 3 eggs and for 1 out of 2 portions.
Keywords: egg, zucchini, bell pepper, zaatar, vegetarian, breakfast