Upgrade your lunch game with this easy-to-make Asparagus Quinoa Salad. It's flavorful, filling, and packed with nutrients!
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 lb (500g) asparagus (about 20 spears), dry ends snapped off
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cup frozen peas
- 2-3 cups arugula
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley or basil leaves
- ½ cup quick pickled red onion (or sliced raw red onion)
- ½ cup pesto
- 1 lemon, juiced (or more to taste)
- ½ tsp freshly ground coarse black pepper (or to taste, add less if fine)
- Add-ins: feta, soft goat cheese, chicken, shrimp
- Preheat your oven to 425F (220C).
- Cook quinoa in 1 ½ cups of water uncovered for about 12 minutes or according to package instructions.
- Chop the asparagus into bite-sized pieces and add to a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with avocado oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the asparagus for 10 minutes, push it off to one side and add the frozen peas.
- Return both to the oven and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add the cooked quinoa, roasted asparagus, peas, arugula, fresh parsley, and pickled red onion or raw red onion.
- Toss everything together to combine. Add pesto, lemon juice, and black pepper. Toss to coat everything well. Add more salt, pepper, lemon juice, or pesto to taste.
- Serve on its own or with a choice of protein. Delicious with salmon!
Storing: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: asparagus, quinoa salad