Delicious easy to make pasta for spring and summer. Made with fresh asparagus and lots of herbs.
- ¼ cup raw pine nuts
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or another cooking oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (or 2 small shallots)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 20 asparagus spears, wooden ends removed, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup dry white wine (or broth)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 tbsp fresh, chopped)
- ½ tsp dried parsley (or 1 tsp fresh, chopped)
- ½ tsp dried rosemary (or 1 tsp fresh, finely chopped)
- ¼ - ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 250g brown rice pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup grated Pecorino cheese, divided*
- Black pepper to taste
Optional add-ins: frozen peas, cherry tomatoes, protein (tofu, fish, seafood, chicken, etc.)
- Start by toasting the pine nuts. Heat a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the pine nuts and toast tossing frequently for a few minutes until they’re evenly golden brown. Take off heat and set aside until ready to serve.
- In a large pan, heat up the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped yellow onion and the sea salt, and sautee for about 5 minutes on medium until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped asparagus, toss, and slowly pour in the wine.
- Add the dried oregano, parsley, and rosemary. Add the red pepper flakes if using.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- While that’s cooking, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Save ½ cup of the starchy cooking water.
- When the asparagus is dark green and tender but not mushy, squeeze in the lemon juice, add the basil, and the pasta. Sprinkle in ¼ of the pecorino cheese. Toss everything together and season with more sea salt and black pepper if desired.
- Serve dusted with more Pecorino cheese and sprinkled with the toasted pine nuts.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
*Cheese substitute: 1:1 vegan cheese or 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
The nutritional information is just an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Keywords: asparagus, pasta, basil, summer