Light but creamy risotto made with Arborio rice cooked in white wine. Served with sauteed asparagus and green peas. Finished with grated goat cheese or nutritional yeast.
Sauteed asparagus and peas
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp vegan butter or more avocado oil (or regular butter)
- Asparagus, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1-2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or more oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups broth
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar (optional*)
- Handful freshly grated goat parmesan (or 2 tbsp nutritional yeast if vegan) + more for serving
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh chives (optional)
Sautéed Asparagus and Peas
- Heat up the butter and oil in a pan over high heat, add the asparagus, parsley, and oregano and toss. Lower the heat to medium and sauté for a few minutes until the asparagus turns dark green. You want it to remain crunchy.
- Add the peas and allow them to thaw and heat up if they're frozen. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside while you cook the risotto.
- Heat up the oil and butter in a pan, add the shallots, a small pinch of sea salt, and sauté stirring frequently for a few minutes until the shallots turn translucent.
- Add the rice and toast for a couple of minutes until fragrant and the rice starts to look translucent around the edges, but make sure it doesn’t start turning brown.
- Carefully pour in the wine and wait till it’s almost soaked up before adding the broth.
- Start adding the broth, a little at a time, while constantly stirring. Always wait till the liquid is almost absorbed before adding more. Make sure to keep stirring and adding more broth as necessary to avoid scorching. This process will take 20 mins.
- Taste the risotto to make sure it’s cooked but still al dente (not crunchy but not mushy). If needed, add more broth. Take the pan off the heat to prevent burning.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar, goat cheese, sea salt, and fresh chives.
- Serve immediately with the asparagus, peas, and sprinkled with more goat cheese or nutritional yeast.
*The balsamic adds extra flavor here but it's optional, it's just the little something that completes the dish.
Keywords: arborio, risotto, asparagus, peas