Whether you use a grill or your oven's broiler, this Charred Corn Salad is the perfect dish to use up all that amazing fresh summer produce!
Summer vegetables just taste so much better when they're in season and grilling them greatly enhances their flavor. So lets take advantage of this and make this tasty simple salad!
I got inspired to make this salad by my favorite two summer salads - the Greek Potato Salad with Feta and Olives and this awesome Mediterranean Orzo Salad. Making all three would make a great selection for a summer bbq or a garden party!
Grilling without a grill?
If you live in an apartment like me, you probably can't own a grill which makes this harder. What can you use instead? Use the broiler! It's not the same but it will do the trick and it requires no prep and no cleaning like the grill does. It's a win-win!
Grilling Vegetables With a Broiler FAQ
Use the broiler. Get rid of the husk, cut all the corn kernels off the cob and spread them on a baking sheet. Broil for a few minutes checking often. Be careful it can burn very quickly!
Always remove the husk as it could catch fire in the oven with the broiler on. You can grill the corn cob whole but you'd need to turn it often otherwise it will just burn on one side.
Cut the zucchini into rounds or long "steaks" Turn your broiler on and spread your zucchini on a baking sheet and spray with cooking oil. Season with salt & pepper and broil for a few minutes, flip, and broil for a couple more minutes. Check the zucchini often, it can burn quickly.
Variations and Substitutions:
- Corn - If you don't have fresh corn, you can totally use frozen corn. Cook it on a pan with a splash of oil, or in the oven with the broiler on.
- Tomatoes - any variety of tomatoes work in this recipe. I chose cherry tomatoes because they don't realease too much juice into the salad.
- Onion - I use red onion in the recipe but feel free to sub ½ yellow onion or 1 shallots.
- Pecorino Romano cheese - Pecorino Romano is similar to Parmesan. It's a little saltier and made with sheeps milk istead of cows milk. Feel free to use Parmesan, feta, or crumbled goat cheese. Cotija cheese works great here too.
Italian Pecorino cheese is made with lamb rennet which means it is NOT vegetarian. The same goes for Parmigiano Reggiano, it's also made with animal rennet. There are however vegetarian versions on the market. If you want to keep the dish vegetarian, make sure to always check the package.
More seasonal summer recipes you'll enjoy
- Cucumber Radish Salad with Fresh Herbs
- Heirloom Tomato Grilled Cheese with Fresh Basil
- Light Asparagus Pasta with Fresh Herbs
Easy, quick corn and zucchini salad you can make either on the grill or in the oven. Perfect for the summer!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tsp maple syrup or agave
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 5 corn cobs
- ½ tsp sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (divided)
- ½ cup grated pecorino cheese (divided)
- 2-3 zucchinis, cut into rounds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, chopped
- Turn your oven broiler on. (see notes for grill instructions)
- To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, sea salt, and pepper in a small mason jar, close with a lid and shake. Set aside.
- Peel your corn cobs, cut the kernels off and spread them on a baking sheet (the bigger the better so they can grill properly)
- Season with sea salt and pepper and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil.
- Broil for 5-10 mins until charred. No need to toss but keep a close eye on the corn as the broiler likes to burn things FAST if you don't pay attention.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle with the pecorino cheese and let cool.
- Cut the zucchini into ¼-1/2" slices or chop however you like.
- Spread onto a baking sheet, drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon avocado oil, sprinkle with the 1 teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon onion powder, and toss to coat.
- Broil for about 10 mins, tossing halfway.
- Into a big bowl add the corn, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and toss.
- Add dressing right before serving and enjoy sprinkled with more pecorino cheese.
Grilling the corn and zucchini on a grill: Grill the corn whole and then chop the kernels off. For the zucchini, chop off the ends, cut it in half lengthwise and grill on both sides, and then chop.
Keywords: salad, corn, zucchini, pecorino